Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Introducing Polly

Go down 
+8
otamot
Mary-Anne
Betty
Pitta
tessa
Gail
Little Miss The Estate
Richard
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

Introducing Polly - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:26 pm

need more clues, where do the blues come form,
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Lovely cow, Richard. Every cow we've had here as a house cow has been a jersey. Daisy, Millie, Emma, Sarah, and maybe one or two others I've forgotten. We liked to run a couple at a time. It got too difficult finding bulls for them though and we couldn't get anyone to do A.I. so they eventually had to go. Plus back then we used to feed them chaff, but go the whole way from cutting the hay with a binder, stooking it, carting it, putting it through the old chaff cutter etc. - too much work for us now. Yours look a particularly nice animal.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:38 pm

A Fat one that's for sure..
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
otamot
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
otamot

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 pm

wow she's huge Shocked i dont know anything about cows but she looks really sweet, especially with the food in her mouth lol!

medburygardens wrote:

Hi Cheryl its Jackie here Richard always has dirty knees, as he's always on his knees begging for something club

Laughing Richard --> worship
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:11 am

Betty wrote:
Lovely cow, Richard. Every cow we've had here as a house cow has been a jersey. Daisy, Millie, Emma, Sarah, and maybe one or two others I've forgotten. We liked to run a couple at a time. It got too difficult finding bulls for them though and we couldn't get anyone to do A.I. so they eventually had to go. Plus back then we used to feed them chaff, but go the whole way from cutting the hay with a binder, stooking it, carting it, putting it through the old chaff cutter etc. - too much work for us now. Yours look a particularly nice animal.

I know what you are saying Betty,a lot of people make too much work for themselves,that paddock shes in has not been renewed since we bought the place 9 years ago and the grasses and clover are all self sown,what you see behind her in the photo will see her and the pet sheep through winter,as grass stops growing here for about two months.
The Jerseys you had were they as tall as our Polly?
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Dirt Poker

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:27 am

Hey Richard - the only old cow I have to cope with is....welll I might leave it at that....safer! Smile

I once heard a lady say that her calves were hurting. her husband said...."Thay're not calves...at your age hey are fully grown cows!"

I know nothing about cows but your's looks preety cool to me.

I hear movement here -

BTW, nothing wrong with dirty knees...working man.

Oh funny story...I saw a bloke hit on a chick at bar the other night...he put in some hard work, only to find she as "a working girl" and told hm so! Smile
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:48 am

That bloke in the bar Daniel,its just like fishing,some days are good fishing some bad,some ya gota throw them back but as long as that bloke carried on fishing afterwards
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 6:24 am

Carlton = Blues
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:01 am

yes...the blues are from carlton, a suburb of melbourne.
they were once a mighty team...but as of late have been cellar dwellers. now they are pulling themselves from a deep, dark hole. let's hope they can teach fremantle how to do that too.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:03 am

laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears :

Just as well Cheryl has gone home.. Oh ...There is always later..
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Val
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Val

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:19 am

A great looking cow, Richard, and she's certainly not starving! It must be nice to have pet cows and sheep. Sigh.
Two good looking kidlets as well Smile
I'm not going to be rude about your knees either! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 10:03 am

medburygardens wrote:

I know what you are saying Betty,a lot of people make too much work for themselves,that paddock shes in has not been renewed since we bought the place 9 years ago and the grasses and clover are all self sown,what you see behind her in the photo will see her and the pet sheep through winter,as grass stops growing here for about two months.
The Jerseys you had were they as tall as our Polly?

It's not that we wanted to make work for ourselves, Richard. This is NOT New Zealand, we have only a 17 inch average rainfall, so unless you can afford irrigation, which isn't there anymore anyway since this drought/global warming began, then you either hard feed stock or forget having them. It's a sheep and crop area anyway, cattle only if you can have a great big shed full of hay bales.

Our jerseys were bigger than Polly. I made sure I asked Ian what he thought and he agrees. I can only find one photo, of a broken coloured jersey, a redhead I nicknamed Sarah after a certain member(back then) of the Royal family. LOL. Sarah would have been getting old judging by her topline. Stylish Emma, a pale coloured stud book cow was big, ditto for Daisy and her mother, a cow Ian called "Mother" believe it or not. When we bought Sarah there was another cow we bought from the same herd, a muddy coloured cow, but I can't for the life of me remember what we named her. Millie was smaller though, maybe like Pollie but a finer style of cow. Anway, I showed Ian your photo's and he was muttering things like "a lovely deep bodied cow, nice frame, very good topline" and that he'd like to have her. LOL. Too bad, so sad for him, hey?

Introducing Polly - Page 2 SusieandSarah-5thOctober2002JPG
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 10:46 am

Nice colour, that is what comes to my mind when you say a Jersey Cow, anther fatty boomba Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:03 am

They come in a large range of colours, Cheryl. Millie was a lovely rich red jersey, a bit like a bay in the horse colours. We have not had one as dark as Richard's though. Ian's memory is better than mine, he said we had one named Sally too(Daisy's daughter?), and then there was the cow he kept just one day. LOL. Boy, was she wild, she'd have crushed Ian against a rail if I hadn't have been there, or have broken her neck trying to get out of the bail. This talk just makes me want another cow, darn it. I just like them as big pets, I actually don't like milk, the worst is milk with cream in it -eeerk! - and if I never had to wash another separator I'd be happy. In other words we made our own butter. Loved the calves though and how friendly cows are.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:06 am

I am not a milk or a cream person and we had home made butter as kids, YUCK when was my turm on the old wooden contraption I used to overdo so it went all watery Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 am

We had a wooden butter churn too but I don't know whether we still have it or not. I think there are two separators though. I don't mind cream, on hot apple pie, or on pikelets with apricot conserve, and naturally on a pavlova, but hubby used to live on it. Yuk!
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:36 am

Ack thickened with vanilla essence and sugar no probs banana banana banana but from the bottle gasp
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:46 am

Little Miss The Estate wrote:
Ack thickened with vanilla essence and sugar no probs banana banana banana but from the bottle gasp

Yeah, like on my pav's, Cheryl. Yummy! Ian's mum had a small jersey stud when he was a kid so really he's had them all his life. A guy in the town where he lived had a jersey bull that he used to groom and fuss over - forget now whether he showed it - but one day it turned on him(as Jersey bulls will) and killed him. Made such a mess that the shed he had it in was later burnt down so his wife didn't see it. We had a young jersey bull here that was fine when I was there in the paddock, but if he saw a stranger he'd start pawing the ground. My uncle taught me never to trust them, he had a couple on his farm and showed them the utmost respect. Another uncle worked on a top jersey stud that always showed their cattle at our Royal Melbourne Show. Used to love visiting the Jersey Pavillion.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:51 am

gasp gasp gasp
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:03 pm

Just spoke to hubby and he said that guy had been warned that the bull would get him, and it did. And yes, he fussed over it because he used to show it. They're the most dangerous bull, yet the cows are just lovely.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Poor bugga though Betty, sometimes we get a little slack and too trusting scratch angel angel
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:21 pm

It would be a horrible death for sure, Cheryl. He should have listened to the guy who warned him though as from memory he'd owned a dairy farm and knew what he was talking about.
Hubby tells me our old wooden butter churn is still here. We didn't use it much at all, in fact I'm darned if I know why we bought it. It was supposed to be, I think, for the times when we didn't have big quantities to churn, but so much work to clean it, it wasn't worth it.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Dirt Poker

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Polly looks great Richard - but no chance I would be having one...would not know the first thing about them.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:57 pm

clean it up and use as deco in the kitchen would look great on display I love you
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:04 pm

I have always wanted a Jersey cow. I love the softness of their eyes and the colour and ... I would love one. But need more acres and more money to feed it.

Polly is simply beautiful Richard. Lucky lucky you! And I agree, Polly has some lovely human kidlets to fuss over her.

Awful story about the man killed by the bull. How terrifying for him!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introducing Polly
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Garden Delights :: Around the yard-
Jump to: