Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully

Go down 
+10
lorraine
Betty
Jennywren
Brenda
Pitta
tessa
Little Miss The Estate
Mary-Anne
Gail
Garden Dan
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:09 am

I think I will move it outside the vege cage but close by.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:10 am

Comfrey is now outside cage...but put possum wire thingys around it...

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0313

Here are a few update photos from my vege cage...I am so glad Kerrie's camera is working now...

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0309

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0311

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0312
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:57 am

You have been a busy Dan, Dan banana banana banana
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:26 am

mmmm, I have, but work keeps getting in the way.

Heading back out there now too!

I tried to dig bobby out but sub surface water just flowed in and filled the hole....

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0319-1
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 am

gasp not good, you need a pump and gravel or something Ack
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:32 am

or some dry weather for a little while.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:37 am

Move Sth, plenty dry weather down here laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:57 pm

Warm and dry is bad enough Cheryl..Cold and dry forget it... laughing wit tears

Daniel your seedlings look very good there.
BTW I have two Comfrey Plants and had no trouble with them you much have seen one in front of the bananas..

Poor bobby I hope it does not go rusty or worse still grow fungus on it like my plants...
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:15 am

Poor bobby,would a large winch and a real man's wire rope not drag it out Daniel,could use one of your large trees as a anchor point.

Gardens coming on well too thumb2
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:20 am

Bobby came out of the bog hole yesterday mate. But as it came out (I had placed bricks, concrete and boards under her wheels and behind her) she dropped straight back down on the mud behind. She is still there...not deep like she was but still sunk a little. We managed to get boards and stuff under her wheels she she is kind of on dry ground but all the ground around her is a bog hole now. We will look again today but really needs a couple of weeks of dry weather because the fence is close behind her and we are in trees. To drag her forward puts her back in the big bog hole. I tell you mate - it is like very sloppy cement...without the gravel....just sand and cement...with heaps of suction when you try to dig it out. I will try to get some pics later - but not sure they show the extent. We have sleepers, pallets, brick, concrete...you name it.
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:36 am

Some good news then Daniel,having it up out of the mud is better.Dry season coming thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:41 am

Correct Richard. I need the dry to get Bobby back in the barn....and of course to do some work; then I need rain to fill my 5 new tanks...one of which needs to be connected yet. Picky aren't I?
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:58 pm

We are a aloud to be picky at our age Dan,it privilege we've earned from been able to reach such an age. whistle

My water tank is over flowing at the moment and its not even raining, scratch our house water is supplied by our local council
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Hey mate...how good does this look....makes my face smile a lot!!!!

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0331

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0333

This is the bog now that it has dried out a little...notice the boards etc I used to get out...

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0334
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:44 pm

PS...a very special thank you to Tony. Mary-Anne told him about the bobcat and he rang with good advice on how to get it out. I really appreciate his willingness to call and offer great advice! Thank you Tony!
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Tony said Thank You Daniel he rang this morning but you were not home then forgot after lunch hammer
What a relief that must be... thumb2 thumb2
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks Mary-Anne. We were at church this morning and then went to Coffee Club with friends to have a yarn. That husband of yours is an awesome bloke...but then...you already know that, so I am not telling you anything new. winky-winky
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:02 pm

Yes I knew you were going to Church so did not ring till 10.30 never mind..
And yes I know I love you Thank You from me thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:09 pm

Tessa, I have planted some of the Kimberley and Scotia tomatoes. I thought I should take a photo of them. There are 6 x Kimberley, 2 x Scotia and the 2 from "Grub" on another forum that he sent me some time ago and 2 that I bought through Green Harvest. Hopefully I will have some success. I have them in the vege cage but may put glass over them tomorrow night in case it rains Tuesday. I will need to rig up some way to cover them in glass. I have a couple of ideas.

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 IMG_0349
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:41 pm

thumb2 Dan great to see bobby out of the bog. you are really so organised with your veg area, won't be long and you will be eating those veg.
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 11:24 pm

wow, dan. you are going to have a lot of tomatoes with those kimberleys!
i have heard of soldacki but never tried them. you should try grub's mystery green. that's a fantastic tomato, but a tad stingy.
hopefully the scotia will be as thick skinned for you as it was for me...and cause the fruit fly no end of grief!
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 4:15 am

Thanks Tessa.

I would like to learn how you folk get your seeds to that "sterile" point. I think there were some soldacki left...I have happy to check and send you a few? They are a couple of years old now though - will that be OK?
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 4:46 am

Your going to be giving away tomatoes to anyone within range thumb2 I am really looking forward to following your progress.
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:25 am

thanks for the offer, dan...but i am FULL UP with tomatoes. lol.

to get those nice fuzzy sterile seeds is easy.
basically...you just squish the seeds and gel into a small vessel like, oh, a chinese teacup or smaller, and then add about a tablespoon of water...and put it somewhere you can keep an eye on it.
in a few days...it will begin to ferment and a smelly scum will develop on the top.
when that happens, just peel off the scum, wash the seeds in a fine-mesh sieve, and whack them onto a paper towel to dry for a few days.
voila.
ready.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks Tessa.

How many varieties do you grow at a time? Do you have multiples of each plant (vine)?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next