Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ideas please on rose cuttings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

Ideas please on rose cuttings Empty
PostSubject: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 8:59 am

I have some rose cuttings which I've potted straight away in premium potting mix, after dipping them in hormone powder. Now, I read somewhere that they shouldn't be put where frost can get them, so what to do? Would putting them under callistemons be enough to protect them, or should they come in under the gazebo perhaps, or the eaves of the house? The latter might certainly be not good enough.
Any ideas on other ways to start them off will be appreciated as I hope to get more cuttings and could experiment. I think Pamela may have good luck with cuttings but I can't recollect how she raised them.
Just read where 2 out of every 6 should make it, that wasn't what happened with my last lot. Laughing Practice makes perfect though.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 am

Hi Betty I got you the link from the old GD to the way Pamela does her cuttings.
http://gardendelights.forumco.com/topic~ARCHIVE~true~TOPIC_ID~1837.asp

The pics are missing but its easy to understand this way you may have more success than 2 out of 6.. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks, Mary-Anne. I recall the thread but not the exact details. I can't get that sort of setup going immediately, and won't anyway for this first lot of cuttings, but in future I'll try that.
Back to top Go down
Cree1
Dirt Poker

PostSubject: Re: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Betty, for just a couple of cuttings you can try this.
Mix together 50% sand with 50% potting soil. Moisten it, just damp not wet. Use a clear plastic cup, at the bottom where the side meets the bottom, cut off some slices to make drainage holes, do at least 4.
To prep the cutting cut it just below a leaf bud. Cut at an angle. shorten cutting to about 5-6". Remove the bottom leaves and leave on 2 leaves at the top. Place the cutting about half way down into the cup. One per cup.
Then if you have one of those heavy plastic bags that zip shut that blankets come in, or next best a clear plastic bag. Locate this bag where it will get bright light and only early morning sun, also no drafts and a warm spot if possible for this time of year (some people place them on top of their water heaters. Then place about an inch of damp sand (not wet) in the bottom or the bag, then place your little plastic cups with the cuttings on top of the sand. Then close the bag. You might need to place a stick or 2 in the bag to hold up up, I try not to let the sides of the bag touch the roses. Then you leave it, 4-5 weeks you should start to see little roots. At this point remove it from the bag and repot into a large pot and place back in the same area for about a week, slowly move it out to full sun.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:48 am

Best of luck Betty whatever way you do it... thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks, Mary-Anne. I want to try and get as many cuttings as I can so I can try various methods. It's something I must master, then I can think about cuttings from other plants and maybe learning to graft. Just part of gardening successfully, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:17 am

You are so right.Betty. I have good success with cuttings here, sand and potting mix, nothing over them in Summer cut off soft drink bottles in the cooler months I scrape the side of the cutting at the bottom and dip them in honey when I have some to spare other times I use nothing.. We all live in different climates so have to do them different ways winky-winky
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:16 am

The cuttings came ready scraped from my sister, Mary-Anne, and I used hormone powder on them. I must get cracking though and see if I can get bottles on them, it can get pretty cool here at night now. Trouble is I put 4 in a pot so covering them may be difficult.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas please on rose cuttings   Ideas please on rose cuttings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ideas please on rose cuttings
Page 1 of 1