Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Empty
PostSubject: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Little spots of colour all through the garden to brighten it a little.

Nasturtium:

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. June-IMG_0391

Nasturtium Again:

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. June-IMG_0392

Swan Lake Hibiscus looking very sad Crying or Very sad

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. June-IMG_0013

Verbena Candy Pink Loving the wet:

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. June-IMG_0324

Freesia Laxa:

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. June-IMG_0397

Cheryl's Zygocactus finally opened:

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. June-IMG_0422
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 1:52 pm

...... and looking very erect also MA Laughing Laughing Laughing I do love the freesia I love you
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Did I give you some of that Cheryl if not let me know as I was given a few seeds years ago, it grows well by seed its a dainty little filler, here it goes dormant over the warmer months and starts to pop up again in the late Autumn making sure its one of the first to flower in Winter the plants are a lot smaller than normal Freesia the leaves only growing about 15cm high because its not a real Freesia I will look up its proper name I have no idea how it would grow down your way though certainly worth having a go..

Its Anomatheca laxa 'Azurea' aka False Freesia.. Native to South Africa
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Cheryl what do mean *Looking Very Erect* are you talking about your Zygocactus.. Very Happy
If so well it was not erect it was laying flat on its back on my brolly as it was raining at the time laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears

Hey us photographers have to think of ways and means to get that right look I was going to stab it through a size 14 knitting needle that I used to knit my children's baby clothes with but did not have the heart to spoil one of Mother Natures beautiful creations... Sad
Back to top Go down
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 3:33 pm

Fabulous photos, Mary-Anne. Thanks for the explanation of 'Freesia Laxa' it is a lovely looking flower. I love nasturtiums...they are so reliable and colourful, tops in my book.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Quote :
Cheryl what do mean *Looking Very Erect* are you talking about your Zygocactus.. Very Happy
If so well it was not erect it was laying flat on its back on my brolly as it was raining at the time

Well in that case hop you didn't get a wet butt in your horizontal mode whistle whistle whistle
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks Fay thought I had better put that info on as I was not too sure if I told everyone..
I love Nasturtiums too Fay its great when they pop up unexpected from those seeds that the birds move aorund..

Cheryl whistle whistle
Back to top Go down
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 4:21 pm

I like to eat the 'seed' of Nasturtium.....from what I have read they are regarded as the 'poor man's caper'.
I also like the leaves...very peppery...great tossed into a salad. ... a bit of ooomph....spicy and hot...

Not that I would know much about ooomph...lol...too old...

laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 4:51 pm

gasp never new that Fay whistle whistle Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Thats Interesting Fay, I have eaten the flowers and leaves I had no idea you you could eat the seeds its amazing what you learn on this forum Very Happy

I have just been watching something about food on SBS and they had on the Lilly pilly fruit and other native things like seeds and nuts they used to be called bush tucker, anyway after telling us we should eat so much % of Native foods he them goes on to say that so many more % of Native Foods were Toxic or was that had toxins Question bit of plate banging going on at the time so did not hear it correctly.

Better the devil you know when it comes to food so its good to hear these things from people that have eaten them, I dont know how I would go out there lost in the rainforest probably starve to death but at least I know I can practically eat all of the nasturtium plant if the need arrives.. whistle
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 4:13 am

Some pretty spots of colour. Nasturtiums are always good for that... just wish they weren't so weedy around here. I'm surprised there are still so many hibiscus on the bush, they just don't want to stop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 8:09 am

Yes all my Hibiscus shrubs are covered in blooms too Gail, mind you I have pruned a lot of them off this past week because of so much growth, could be because the nights are not as cold those flowers are hanging on banana banana
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.   Spots Of Colour Around The Garden. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spots Of Colour Around The Garden.
Page 1 of 1