Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Some seedlings I didn't grow.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

Some seedlings I didn't grow. Empty
PostSubject: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 1:57 pm

Along with my roses yesterday I bought the following seedlings. Delphiniums(because I've almost given up thinking I can grow them from seed), primulas(seeing theirs were far more advanced than mine), Polyanthus(as I'd never grown them before) and some Pansies in shades of pink(I think mine are all brighter colours). Now I'm debating whether I should nick into our closest town on Monday for some more seed raising and potting mix, and of course a stop-off at the nursery there. This is so addictive, this gardening caper. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Betty I have to keep away from those places now Very Happy Very Happy

I love Polyanthus and used to grow then a lot in my Melbourne Garden every year I used to buy four new ones and in the end I had so many when I divided them up I gave them away but they are so pretty and come in so many colours and they will be there next year for you I had never grown them from the seedling stage I used to buy the one plant to a small pot as that was all you could get then..

You garden will look so pretty with all these colours in the Winter and Spring thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Nurseries you mean? Lovely places, aren't they though. winky-winky
I was busy doing some planting today when a friend called in. He's taken to bringing me bits and pieces for the garden and today it was tubers he doesn't know the name of, so that'll be interesting when they flower. Like a small, finer leaved bearded iris type plant, but his neighbor told him they have a flower like an orchid.(??) Time will tell anyway. Also, he'd been out to the Wail Nursery so got me a couple of Silky Oaks seeing he knew I'd had no luck with one I tried growing. We think it had roots that went round and round in the pot. There is probably a word for that other than pot bound. Anyway, the fool thing was always stunted. Fingers crossed that one or both of these grow.
Re the polyanthus, I'll post photo's if they flower and you can tell me whether you'd had them. I hope they aren't addictive for me.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 8:18 am

Yes they are Laughing Silly Oaks such a gorgeous flower they have strictly for big acreage though.
Polyanthus they were just the usual blue/yellow , pink and white, yellow, orange, cream.
Betty that's was a long time ago.. winky-winky
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 am

I don't think the Silky Oak grows as big here as it would up north, Mary-Anne. However, I will still choose the spot carefully just in case.
I can't wait for the polyanthus to flower. I probably should have bought more of them but there is always next year(or next Friday when I shop again?). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
otamot
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
otamot

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 pm

oh I love a trip to the nursery thumb2 I try to take a list though of plants I want and not impulse buy otherwise I get them home and have no clue where to put them duh the trouble with that is I often come home empty handed when i cant find what Im looking for. I've grown most of my plants from seed or cutting, but now I think a lot of the time it's just as well to buy seedlings because they are so cheap anyway. cant wait to see everything come spring betty, I'll bet it will all be looking wonderful
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 pm

The silky oak it very prone to dropping brittle branches up here Betty, next door neighbour planted one on side fence line and cause so many problems till it was cut down 2 years ago it was about 50ft tall.. Then the guy on the other side planted one 6 ft from the side fence sadly he passed away last year and his daughter who is living in the house now let Tony cut it down before it got to that height at least you have plenty of room for one.

When they shed their leaves every Spring I used to rake up many barrow loads for mulch, the seeds used to blow into the gutters and sprout in the dust they were everywhere even growing in the road-base driveway and under the house in the cracks between the paver's it was a nightmare here and I don't think it behaves that way down there well I certainly hope not.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Ot, seedlings are cheap if you aren't going to put many in, but in comparison to buying a $1.20 packet of seeds at Cheap as Chips, seedlings are actually very expensive. You only get a few in a punnet, but a lot in a packet.
Golly, Mary-Anne, now I'm not at all sure I should plant that Silky Oak. Thanks for the warning. I'll have a good think about it. Maybe talk to the folk at our local nursery, they should know what it's like here.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 8:01 am

Yes best your talk to your nursery Betty as it could grow entirety different down there, though there will always be thousands of seeds but then again it may be too cold for them to germinate the same as up here.

BTW Grevillea are one plant that don't like being disturbed so if you do want to move it do it soon.

Does Grevillea banksii grow down there its much smaller more of a shrub at 3 mts I can sent you heaps of seeds I think it may be too cold. I will have a look in the ANPS page http://asgap.org.au/g-ban.html no you will see it does not like the frosts

I cannot find Grevillea robusta aka silky Oak on that site I wonder why.. Question
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 10:07 am

Lucerne trees and Tamarisks are supposed to be invasive but they aren't here, Mary-Anne, so maybe Silky Oaks are the same. The ones I have are still tiny, so I have time to decide what to do with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some seedlings I didn't grow.   Some seedlings I didn't grow. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some seedlings I didn't grow.
Page 1 of 1