Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!

Go down 
+4
Mary-Anne
Little Miss The Estate
Gail
Garden Dan
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 8:07 am

Awww Jenny they are SO cute, and I can see why you would miss them Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 am

Now, if we had those around here I'd lock my cats up. Aren't they lovely. You were so lucky having them visit you. The reason I have no sympathy for the possums is that they have 1750 acres of forest to roam in over the road from us, whereas my cats only have a few acres. If the possums think they'd rather raid my garden then they take their chances. My cats don't go over into the forest to chase them up gigantic trees. And you know, before white settlement possums didn't dine on roses I'm sure, and they thrived. Bandicoots on the other hand sound like a gardener's helper.
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:14 am

Bandicoots are fine if they stay out of the vegie garden. They are very good at uprooting plants to get to the fat juicy earthworms club Here's my experiences with them
http://gardendelights.forumco.com/topic~ARCHIVE~true~TOPIC_ID~2315.asp
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:41 am

I'm fond of Bandicoots , you's are deal cut.
Here we get Northern long nosed Baniicoot and Northern Brown Bandicoot.
I cannot feed them because we have 2 dogs.
The Bandicoots in the tropics are known tick carriers.
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:43 am

Same here Gwen, they carry the paralysis tick so even if the dogs stay in the yard they are still at risk of the ticks.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:03 pm

So Cute thumb2 thumb2
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm lucky, Gail, we don't get paralysis tick here. Or bandicoots though, and that's a shame.
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 3:36 pm

You can have all our bandicoots... lost enough vegies to them.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Better not accept your gracious offer of a herd of bandicoots, I know that cats consider them a tasty snack. They have some area down near Hamilton set up to save one sort of bandicoot, fenced so the cats don't get them.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:07 pm

They would be good to help out digging up the tatties Betty laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Jennywren
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Jennywren

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 pm

Yes, I can see they would/could be a problem in a veg patch, Gail. I didn't have one as we were in total shade, except for the turn around bit of the drive, in the middle of the day. My garden was 'coot heaven, lots of cover for them.

The ones in my photo are the Southern Long Nosed, they get fairly large and would only be susceptible to cats when young. I had a photo with, I think...13 of them on my back verandah one night.
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Bandicoots can give you a big fright sometimes. There was a little used shed at a nursery I used to work in and I opened the door to get something out one day and had a family of "giant rats" run straight out over my feet... boy did I jump affraid Didn't realise until later that they were bandicoots... my husband, who was only my boss then, couldn't stop laughing... he knew that they lived in the shed but didn't tell me did he!! club club I've had my revenge since... I married him laughing wit tears laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Now that's really funny, Gail. Laughing Laughing I'd have thought they were rats too and nearly died of fright. Love that about your revenge.

Cheryl, Ian used to tell me to bandicoot the potatoes, aka digging around under the plant to see if they're ready. I'd like to have a bandicoot to do that for me, good idea. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 6:01 am

And you lived Happy ever after Gail.. Laughing Laughing

Is that right whistle whistle

Last edited by Mary-Anne on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 8:33 am

You have given him a life sentence Gail Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jennywren
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Jennywren

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 4:40 pm

laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears .......Gail.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Little Miss The Estate wrote:
You have given him a life sentence Gail Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good one, Cheryl. thumb2

Jennywren, must say I love your avatar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!   POSSUMS!  Love 'em - not likely! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

POSSUMS! Love 'em - not likely!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2