Our social gardening forum

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:02 am

Good choice, Pamela. I like Jackies too, BUT I reckon they'd always be on the hunt and down rabbit or fox holes here, and considering they use 1080 bait over in the forest it'd be too risky to own them. If they stuck to killing mice they'd be wonderful. Both our closest neighbors have lost working dogs to fox bait unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
otamot
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:14 am

pamela wrote:
They are gorgeous. Maybe when Sam grows up I will consider getting a second dog and I would love a little 'mouser' as I hate using the Talon baits but I have to. My riding instructor has these two gorgeous little Jack Russell cross dogs who are totally focussed on mouse/ rat smells and although they only spend 5 minutes out of her car after my lesson, she has killed one.

im thinking the same thing P, i think it would be great to have a little ratter dog around the place.

pamela wrote:
I adore your avatar Ota - what a darling!!!!!!!!

thanks pamela, she's being very naughty lately and has gone back to biting my ankles again and i thought we over all of that. club

how is little sam? i'll bet she's getting huge now?

betty and jenny, your little paps are so cute! they look like cheeky little things
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Ot, I don't have a Pap. I did have a long coat Chihuahua though, and the breeds are a bit similar I must admit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Oh so cute ..I had two short haired Chihuahua nothing like them of course
But I I love you all dogs ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:59 pm

Mine was a long coat but I think once you've owned a Chihuahua it really doesn't matter whether they are smooth or long coats, you just know what wonderful dogs they are. So much love in such a tiny package.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:09 pm

They are little lovable cuddle buckets of love Betty I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:18 pm

Know my nickname for Bo, Cheryl? I tell him he's my "snuggle bunny love bug" . He is such a darling. Just like him mum. When she was young, if you sat with another dog on your lap she would just pop up onto your knee as well, slotting herself in between that dog and your body. This son, Bo, is the only one that does it as well, yet he wasn't reared here to see her doing it. Sorry to change the subject from one breed to another like that, but I'm going to do it yet again, by saying I must get off this computer. I am hoping to speak to my vet. Remember I had Cuddle's leg operated on? Well, there is swelling there I don't like the look of. Would have taken her to the vet this arvo only Ian went off with the wagon, getting some fire wood. She's still on antibiotics though, so hopefully will be okay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Not good news Betty, let us know how she gets on Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:04 pm

Yes I hope it is just the recovery phase. Poor Cuddles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
otamot
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Betty wrote:
Ot, I don't have a Pap. I did have a long coat Chihuahua though, and the breeds are a bit similar I must admit.

sorry betty duh they do look a bit similar though dont they? I've never seen a long haired chihuahua so i guess that's why i got a bit confused Embarassed she's was a real little cutey though, so funny that she could hold her own with the cattle dogs. little dogs can have a lot of spunk that's for sure, im sure they dont really realise how little they are Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bubba Louie
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:31 pm

I never saw any GSD's behaving badly in the ring but I did see Staffies and Dobes trying to get at each other, not the judges.

I don't have any decent pictures of my girls. It was back in the days of those terrible Polaroids that spat out the photos and they don't age well at all.

This is a boy from my first litter.

Kelly and one of her litters (her first, I think) . She's not much more than a pup in the first one. She was obessed with that drum. She'd hit it with her front feet and boy could she get it going. Heaven help anyone who got in the way.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Absolutely lovely dogs, Bubba Louie. The dog looks a real nice type. I've been clean bowled by a cattle dog and that was bad enough, I'd hate to bowled over by a drum with an enthusiastic GSD behind it. gasp Laughing ACDs want to get at each other, some of them anyway, but like so many other breeds are not as aggro as they used to be in the past.

Ot, I've had judges tell me that Chihuahuas are amongst the worst biters they handle. Not that Jedda was aggressive, it's just that she wouldn't be teased by a big dog. It says a lot for my cattle dog, BJ, that she would tolerate this little dog swinging by its teeth on her cheek. All my bigger dogs have treated the small ones like they're a joke though.
Pamela, do hope you are right and this is normal for the sort of op. Cuddles had, just a big worry till I find out. Will certainly let you know, Cheryl. thumb2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bubba Louie
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:47 pm

He was a lovely dog and we sold him to a friend so we saw a lot of him. I kept his sister and she was even better but for some reason I don't seem to have any photos.

He'd just won an "in show" in that photo.

Or was it "in group", I must be getting old. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:01 pm

And was it a class in show, or best in show? Question Know how easy it is to forget. Best I've done in that respect was a Puppy in show with my red ACD boy, nice wins aren't they? The pup I retained from my first litter was my first Ch. but a hard bitch to show, she really didn't want to be there. Wouldn't bait, went to pieces over loud noises and if a thunder storm was forecast, we stayed home. Actually, thinking about her and how difficult Susie, my red CH we had put down recently, was to show too, I think if we get one more ACD, it must be a dog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:55 am

How's Cuddles Betty?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:48 am

She's off to the vet with Tammy and I this arvo, Pamela. I don't like how much swelling there is or the way she is "protecting" herself against Perkins, who would never harm her. She flew into him - luckily agreed to be called off - then couldn't get back inside away from him fast enough. I'll have to put the big cages in the station wagon before it starts raining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bubba Louie
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:54 am

It certainly wasn't a Best in Show, I'd remember that.

My bitch, his sister, beat him on the only occassion we came up against each other.

She also came 2nd in her puppy class at her first GSD national show and 5th in her intermediate class at another.

That may not sound great but it meant a lot more than all the wins at all breed shows. The judges were German and the classes huge. I don't know what it's like now but back than it was common to have 30 - 40 animals in one class at big events like that, and the top five in every class had critiques written up by the judge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Oh, I know how much those places mean, Bubba Louie. I have a sheltie named Silk that I absolutely adore, the first sheltie I bred and kept, and when she got 5th at the Sheltie National , in a class of 30, under a much respected English judge, I was just over the moon. banana banana It's quite a thrill, isn't it? And in my case, in 4th place was a lovely little tricolour that I regularly competed against and liked a lot. Funnily enough, I can't even recall who the first 3 placegetters were. I've had a boy win his class at another National, but as it was a small class it didn't thrill me like Silk's placing.
Where my two red champions were concerned, cattle dogs I mean, I can't remember now if Susie ever beat her brother. I actually thought she should. He may have been a Best in Group/Puppy in Show winner etc. and won more than her but to me she was a better bitch than he was a dog - but what do I know? My blue girl, Cuddles, couldn't beat either of them. Well.... she could always beat Susie in a fight, worse luck. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bubba Louie
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:32 pm

As good as they were it was their Mum, Kelly, who was the love of my life. Best dog I ever had, I swear she knew what we were thinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 pm

You must miss her, Bubba Louie. It's hard when the special ones leave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bubba Louie
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Betty wrote:
You must miss her, Bubba Louie. It's hard when the special ones leave.

I do, but she's been gone a very long time now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Back to the subject of Bo again. He finally has a tail. banana Well, he always had one Laughing but it was shortened by his doing the sheltie spin, grabbing it and pulling hair out. Just the fact that I noticed a complete brush means we are getting on top of that bad habit. Thank heaven for that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:15 am

You have dome a great job Betty, you should send a pic to his previous owners whistle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betty
Gardener
Gardener

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:02 am

NO! Don't think so, Cheryl. Laughing I think if they forget about him, all for the good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   

Back to top Go down

Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3