Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

TROPICAL LEAVES

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Alocasia micholitziana frydek common name green velvet

TROPICAL LEAVES IMG_0600

Xanthosoma albo atrovirens common name pocket plant

TROPICAL LEAVES IMG_0599

BOTH PLANTS

TROPICAL LEAVES IMG_0685

CALADIUM leaf

TROPICAL LEAVES IMG_0610

another Caladium

TROPICAL LEAVES IMG_0608

These Caladiums were lucy to survive the digging of the scrubfowls
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Very bright and colourful Gwen.
I am glad they survived the diggings of the scrub-fowl.. club

I have some of the colourful ones up myself..
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 4:19 am

They are stunning, Gwen..... I love them.
We don't always have a lot of success with them in this neck of the woods....we are in a temperate area..no frosts.
I move the pots for winter and barely water them...maybe they would do better in the ground? Then again they would get more water over the winter period...what do you think? Question Question
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 7:38 am

Thanks MA I only have those 2 caladium left I used to have about 6 but thr fowls seem to like them .the Xanthosoma and Alocasia came from Gail . The scrub fowl dug the Xanthosoma up months ago . we could not find the leaves ,it was growing in the ground so well too .Faye potted it and its now got new leaves and is replanted in the garden but this time John put pavers all around it
He replanted the Alocasia into the ground also with pavers.
MA are you close to Logan .I saw on tv it was hit by a bad storm ,lots of tree damnage .
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 7:45 am

Fay ,I really could.nt say how those plants would do in your area , but if you have to make special winter arrangements for them maybe its not worth it . like me with Roses I just would.nt bother , they will grow here but not well .Ijust stick to things that grow without any trouble.I would look around the shops and plant sales and if they are for sale maybe you could try one.If I had extras I would send you one just to try it. TROPICAL LEAVES 911556
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 9:58 am

Gwen Yes we live in Logan, as in Logan City same as my daughter does who lives 12 kms to the west of where we live two suburbs over, there are many suburbs in Logan and the ones that were hit by this storm are situated in the southern end of Logan very close to us..
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 4:10 am

Pitta wrote:
Fay ,I really could.nt say how those plants would do in your area , but if you have to make special winter arrangements for them maybe its not worth it . like me with Roses I just would.nt bother , they will grow here but not well .Ijust stick to things that grow without any trouble.I would look around the shops and plant sales and if they are for sale maybe you could try one.If I had extras I would send you one just to try it. TROPICAL LEAVES 911556
Thanks Gwen, I do see them in Bunnings and have bought a few...but they don't always seem to pop back up after winter. I was thinking that in the ground they may drain a little better than in a pot. Although when they are potted I do make sure that they get very little water in winter.
I shall have another go and try them in a well drained spot in the garden.
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 8:46 am

TROPICAL LEAVES 341816 Fay . that sounds like a good plan to put them in the ground , make sure the bed is hilled up so theres no chance of waterlogging.Good luck .I am going to look at ebay to see if I can get some new colours , maybe lucky and get a bargain.
I forgot to comment on your other post with the Dracaena link , that is a real stunner , I have several but I ve never seen that lemon lime mudt be a new one .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TROPICAL LEAVES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TROPICAL LEAVES   TROPICAL LEAVES Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TROPICAL LEAVES
Page 1 of 1