Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A few new Aroids

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm

A few new Aroids a bit small yet to plant out .

Alocasia "poly." a dwarf type I think a hybrid of A. amazonica.

A few new Aroids DSCF1385

Alocasia reginula " black velvet "

A few new Aroids DSCF1393

From the Pothos group Scindapsus pictus "satin pothos "This is a tree climber keeping the leaves flatened against the trunk.

A few new Aroids DSCF1446

Close shot

A few new Aroids DSCF1447

I am very pleased with the photos I am taking [ one handed] I don't have to many to delete because of camera shake,
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Val
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Val

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:23 am

So you should be pleased Gwenda! Your photos are excellent.
Lovely foliage on the Aroids Smile
Back to top Go down
http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Great photo's, Gwen. I have never heard of Aroids, have to admit it. They sort of look artificial, don't they? They're all nice. thumb2
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 5:45 pm

The Aroids are a huge Family Betty . Google" Aroid Family"
Thank you for comments
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm

One of the sites I looked at. Gwen, said the plant is dangerous, so you be careful handling them.
http://www.goatworld.com/health/plants/aroidfamily.shtml
Back to top Go down
Canna Worms
Dirt Poker
Canna Worms

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 11:23 am

Ooo! A few new Aroids A-OK Very nice indeed! Perfect pics, too. A few new Aroids 257164
Your Scindapsis has a MUCH lovlier pattern than mine, I will certainly have to keep my eyes open for that cv.

I have grown A. 'Polly' for several years, and like it very much.
Mine is not a dwarf - very similar in size to my other amazonica.
This is my A.'Polly': A few new Aroids 8-03-08AlocasiaPolly

This one is A.sanderiana with the more deeply cut foliage:
(I nearly lost it, but it is trying to make a comeback)
A few new Aroids 8-03-08AlocasiasanderianaNobilis

And here is A.cuprea,
(which I think has a sort of spooky, prehistoric appearance):
A few new Aroids Acuprea
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Betty don't be concerned about poison plants .80% OF TROPICAL ARE POISONOUS. you are ok as long as you dont eat them and be careful to wash your hands after handling some sappy plants.
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Ellie I do love the Alocasia, your A.samderiana and A. cuprea are 2 on my list to look out for on ebay.
I have a new Philodendron I potted the other day till its a little bigger to get put in the garden next to a tree.Its Philodendron tenue . quilted leaf philo.Do you have it .
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 pm

That's okay, Gwen, as long as you are aware. I'm probably not aware of all the things down here that are poisonous.
Back to top Go down
Canna Worms
Dirt Poker
Canna Worms

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:14 am

Ah, Gwen A few new Aroids Biggrin3 that tenue will be a very nice addition to your collection, too.
No, I don't have it, but I have seen it growing in Florida, and between the striking texture and huge size, it was quite remarkable. A few new Aroids 257164
My storage space in the winter months is so limited that (at this time) I'm not able to indulge my desires as much as I'd like with those bigger ones. *sigh*

I think that the subject of toxicity in plants is an interesting one, and you are both so right that we growers need to be aware, so that we can keep ourselves safe - as well as any children or domestic animals (wild animals seem to be more cany about such things).
Perhaps because tropicals are my strongest interest, I make it a rule to assume that any plant is toxic - unless I know for certain that it is not, even those which bear edible fruit.
After all, tomatoes are scrumptious - but the tomato plant is one of the most toxic plants in cultivation.

Last edited by Canna Worms on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:30 am

Canna Worms wrote:

After all, tomatoes are scrumptious - but the tomato plant is one of the most toxic plants in cultivation.

Is it? Shocked gasp I didn't know that and if I told my husband he'd refuse to eat a tomato. LOL. Any excuse.
Back to top Go down
Canna Worms
Dirt Poker
Canna Worms

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 11:51 am

*Heheh* We must keep it a secret from your hubby then.
But yes, the tomato plant (Lycopersicon esculentum) is a member of the Deadly Nightshade family (Solanaceae) and all parts of the plant
(A few new Aroids 208273 except for those yummy fruits, of course) have toxic effects if much is ingested. They contain an alkaloid (Tomatine) that can cause some serious gastrointestinal problems as well as depression of the respiratory and central nervous systems.

If one has domestic animals which might have a tendency to graze or nibble on plants, it's best to keep them safely away from your tomato plants:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/tomato-plant.html
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Ellie .I think Philodendron tenue will look great when it gets planted out and gets its roots into our good soil.Luckily I have plenty of room . shade and trees to grow the bigger ones. A few new Aroids 911556
Back to top Go down
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:28 pm

I love the new plants Gwen...they are tops....and your photos are excellent. thumb2
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Eliie, thanks for the link. My tomatoes don't seem to interest my dogs at all. The cattle dogs could chew on tomato plants I placed in a Florida weave the season before last and didn't, so I assume they won't this year either. Handy to know though because now, if they do get off colour, at all, the first thing I'd do is check the tomato plants for damage. May be a good idea too not to put the spent plants out in the paddock where sheep could eat them. Ack
Back to top Go down
Canna Worms
Dirt Poker
Canna Worms

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:43 am

Pitta wrote:
Luckily I have plenty of room . shade and trees to grow the bigger ones. A few new Aroids 911556
You are indeed a very lucky lady. As I gradually view more and more of the photos in your blog, I have to say that I am falling in love with your place. It seems such a serene setting, like a verdant park.
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 7:55 am

Ellie . I am pleased you get that feeling , thats exactly what I've tried to create .
A green peaceful haven to de A few new Aroids 911556 stress people.
I received a gift on my birthday from one son, he put money in my bank to buy plants so I am having a great time searching EBAY for bargains .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A few new Aroids Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few new Aroids   A few new Aroids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few new Aroids
Page 1 of 1