Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.

Go down 
+6
otamot
Little Miss The Estate
Karingal
please remove me
Mary-Anne
Betty
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Empty
PostSubject: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 9:24 pm

I finally, seriously, tackled Bo's teeth with my scalers and you can sure tell he's never had it done before. There was blood, sweat and tears - well, not quite lol! for an hour and 40 minutes, by which time I had done one canine tooth, the very back molar on the same side, and nearly did his big carnassial molar. He is so dominant and defiant, but anyway, he got a rest over lunchtime and I started doing the other side teeth. He's smart. 10 minutes and I had the canine and molars done, although the latter aren't spotless, I simply thought we should finish on a real good note. Can't have a dog that won't allow me or the vet to do anything we want with him, and far from thinking of me as the enemy, he's decided I'm more important to him than anything. Follows me like a shadow outside, always asking for a cuddle. He has cuddling down to a fine art, he puts his head over your shoulder and leans into your neck. He's still loosing coat so I am looking forward to the depths of Winter so I can see his new coat. Here he is now though.
Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. 22ndMarch09036
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 9:40 pm

I totally agree with the humans being the dominant one Betty in the nicest possible way of course I love you

Job well done by the sounds of things thumbs-up..

Must say he looks great so clean and healthy compared to the first pics you posted. puppy
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 3:03 am

He looks wonderful Betty. Sounds pretty full on with the teeth - wouldn't a few sturdy bones every day for a few weeks do the same trick? Harry and Violet went to their graves with the most beautiful white teeth, even molars but they had a LOT of marrow bones. But I guess as Bo was so neglected maybe it builds up and a bone won't shift it.

So lovely that he hugs you - he knows you love him!
Back to top Go down
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:33 am

He is beautiful, Betty, I love his thick coat. I feel sure he is lapping up the wonderful care and attention.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 5:35 am

WoW Betty you would not think it was the same dog, well done and you both deserve a good cuddle hug
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 7:40 am

MA, you'd swear that dog had 8 legs, all trying to push you away or stop the scaler even touching one of his precious teeth. Laughing I see too many dogs panic at the vet's clinic, don't want any of mine thinking my vet can't inspect whatever he needs to. My sister won't fight with hers, yet she has obediance and tracking titles on all of them. So great, she can't clean their teeth, but they do nice heel work. LOL.
Having had a dog with an impaction due to bones, another that actually pulled a tooth out when it got jammed in a bone, another that nearly choked on a piece of bone, having seen the horrible hard, white droppings the poor things have to pass if they get one too many bones, and working with a clinic where the policy is " we never reccommend bones, we see too many problems because of them" , no, I prefer not to clean teeth that way. You haven't owned a power chewer like a cattle dog, Pamela, they can get themselves into trouble. My friend who bred my two red ACDs had a sibling of theirs vomiting blood everywhere because of damage from a piece of bone. Very scary. However, to show they are not totally deprived - there was a time when I did feed bones.
Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Perkins-Givethedogabone
Fay, I sometimes wonder if Bo's still missing his family and I feel bad about that, yet I'm sure a freezing cold Ballarat winter would have killed him if he'd stayed there in the condition he was in. He sometimes becomes alert at the sound of some vehicle going by and I think maybe it sounds like something from on the farm where he lived. Poor little dog. I think some breeds take it much harder than others when they get re-homed. Both my breeds are like that. The ACD is totally devoted to its owner, and must be suspicious of strangers, while the Sheltie should be reserved with strangers. Your happy love everyone type mightn't care so much.
I'll give Bo a cuddle for you , Cheryl. He's a sweet boy .... although one of the district nurses came in the other day and told him what a pretty girl he was. laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 7:43 am

Well they are a pretty dog, Miss Bella could never be a boy, well Mr. Poo is just Mr. Poo all boy laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 8:32 am

Nobody could ever mistake Perkins, my big red cattle dog boy for a girl and in that breed that's what I like. Masculine dogs, feminine bitches. For showing though, a girlie Sheltie male isn't a bad thing seeing judges look for sweetness of expression. I agree that Mr Poo is all boy.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 8:39 am

I know what you mean Betty I have seen judges almost get bitten by some dogs usually Toys, what is a matter with people that dont teach their dogs the Social manner so to speak..

All dogs have 8 legs Betty when you are trying to do something for them..

I often gave my dogs a big bone, when they stopped chewing the meat off it, it went into the bin, after all there was no packaged dog food in the jungle years ago what did they eat then. I have honestly never heard of not giving a dog a bone before.. Though I do understand the damage bones can do to dogs especially small bones..
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 am

All dogs have 8 legs Betty when you are trying to do something for them..
That's worth quoting, MA. LOL.

Yes, supervised chewing on those big bones is fine but easier to get teeth clean on brisket bones, which unfortunately can also do some damage. I know lots of people who won't feed bones and if they are so adamant at my vets about not feeding them, no doubt a few of their clients won't either NOW. I don't ever feed small bones to dogs. Dogs are far removed from the jungle nowadays. I get sick of hearing "in the wild they'd have ....". What about us, why aren't we still eating like cavemen, chewing on a bone maybe, come to think of it. I definitely consider even my childhood days of feeding a dog just bones and table scraps to be the bad old days.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:14 am

Hey Betty in this house Tony is the dog, he loves getting all the meat off the bones.. winky-winky
Not much food around in Wales after the war so leaves nothing on the bones not even that white stuff in the middle..

You are right about the jungle bit..
I would never give cooked bones to a dog now that is dangerous or small ones for that matter..
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 am

A childhood friend of mine used to chew on cold lamb chops till I was scared she was going to eat bone and all. LOL. I'm sure that if it's been a lifelong habit she'd have no teeth left. Is Tony the better half, MA?

I once looked at a dog's teeth at a show, thinking I might mate a bitch to him, and was shocked out of my socks by how absolutely filthy his teeth were . affraid How she could present him to a judge for inspection is beyond me. If I'd been the Judge I would have shamed her in front of the others. Mine always got their teeth cleaned before every show weekend. She left that poor dog wide open to gum infections and worse. Surprising though the number who don't want to upset their dog by trying to teach it what it should know, and yes, the poor judges suffer the consequences, and vets.
Back to top Go down
otamot
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
otamot

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:37 am

Mary-Anne wrote:
I know what you mean Betty I have seen judges almost get bitten by some dogs usually Toys, what is a matter with people that dont teach their dogs the Social manner so to speak..

I remember being at one obedience trial when I was younger (I was into the whole dogs shows and obedience thing) and when the judge went to run his hands over a german shepherd it went for his face, I dont know how badly injured he was but he was carted away to hospital. It brought the whole thing to a standstill while people were frantically running around. needless to say the dog didnt win Shocked

Bo is looking wonderful betty and I dont think he could be missing his owners. I've found when you get an animal from a bad situation they bond with you like their life depends on it and become quite clingy. He's got a great life now, a pack to run with, an owner who loves him and cares for him, he didnt have that before and I'll bet he cant believe his luck to have found you again. I love you
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:45 am

Tony.. Yes he is .. I love you
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Ot, I really thinks it takes this breed a little while to forget their family. When we got Ben he was such a sad dog for about a month, then he was fine. With Bo there is nothing I can quite put my finger on but stands to reason that he's such a loving little fellow that he must miss the kids that played with him at least. One good thing is that he now seems more interested in having cuddles and watching where I'm going than, pardon me, humping Matthew. LOL. Matthew is just a peaceful, tolerant dog, poor thing.
A bite in the face from a GSD would be no fun. Poor man. We have a dilemna with the cattle dogs. Overseas judges at our Royal down here get warned they could bite, which of course makes some nervous and a lot of dogs sense fear and it brings out the Devil in them. One woman therefore chose as her challenge winner the most playful,exuberant, want to kiss your face cattle dog there was, and that is plain stupid. The breed has to have a suspicious glint in the eye, not lick you to death. Have to be amenable to handling though, and I'm glad they now have rules for banning those that aren't. Must ask my brother if any dogs have bitten him, he's a Terrier Judge.

MA, your upbringing does that to you. They reckon a lot of people who went through the great depression went on to hoard food. There again, he may be just a meat eater like me - yummm!! LOL.
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 2:52 pm

banana 🍌That Bo ,so beautiful and so loved.
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Val
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Val

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:56 pm

What a splendid looking dog Bo is now, Betty! You've done a great job, no wonder he loves you thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com/
otamot
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
otamot

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Betty, that experience with the GSD made me realise just how vulnerable judges can be, and yes i agree if an edgy dog senses fear i think it just makes them more edgy and wary of the person. Gosh betty you'd think the international judges would read up a bit on the breeds they're judging if they dont have much experience with them wouldnt you Shocked

i dont think it will be long before Bo is over his past, dogs are so forgiving though that maybe there are a few familiar things he misses but given enough time i dont think there will be much he will miss, he deserved much better and he's obviously started to really bond with you now. great job betty thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 7:56 am

Ot, you have a very cute avatar, is it your dog?

I think people here just think overseas judges should be warned that a cattle dog might bite, but it's pretty stupid if it means they go in there a bit worried. My first Ch ACD bitch, a blue that I bred, was fine for her entire show career, never ever looked like biting a judge, but at a little local show, when I was standing outside the ring watching the judging, she showed exactly what I am talking about here. An old chap introduced himself, saying he'd seen the lovely cattle dog from over in the car park and had to come and see it. Now, we were chatting and I should have been more on the ball. He first asked could he pat her, then added that he was scared of other people's cattle dogs. I was watching the ring and just replied, she's fine, and the next sound I heard was her teeth snapping together. affraid She knew he was scared and although we became good friends , and I got him a nice pup by my dog, each time he came here my bitch would set him up. LOL. With one timid female judge at the Royal one bitch had two fair dinkum goes at biting her, but that's more fuel for the idiot that is scaring these judges. A vicious circle, isn't it? I hope the judges realise now that the ones being shown haven't been banned for biting so should be okay.
Quite chilly here this morning, so the dogs got to wear their coats, it was only 2C. May have to buy Bo a better coat for Winter, this one's lining could be thicker.

Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. 27thMarch09022
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 8:08 am

snug as a bug in a rug Betty I love you
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:56 am

Awwwww . Oh how I love you cute is that Betty...
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 am

banana B O in nice warm coat ,at 2 c you all would need coats .
I cannot imagine 2c ,I Feel frozen if it gets to anything under 20c.
Bo looks so lovely.
Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. 2398Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. 2430
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
otamot
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
otamot

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 8:03 pm

yep my avatar is my little shih tzu rommie, she's about 10 months old now. (now she would never make a show dog coz she'd probably spot a bug and run off to play with it in the ring) lol puppy

here's a wider shot of her whistle

Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Romytedjan09

awww bo looks so cute in his coat! all rugged up and ready for winter thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Rommie is absolutely gorgeous. Love her eyes, a face you couldn't help but love. Give her a big cuddle for me, please.
Years ago, down at the Warrnambool show, an American exhibitor walked up to me at ringside leading a shih tzu, a beautiful young boy with an all American pedigree. She had come to admire my cattle dog, Perkins, while I just drooled over the shih tzu. Ian knew I'd always wanted one and told me later he'd just been waiting for me to say I'd buy this dog, it was for sale you see. I was so torn, he will never realise how close I came to taking it. For showing though, too many restraints on what they can do if you want the coat perfect, so I thought I'd stick with my shelties. Sad You never know, I may have one as a pet eventually.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Ota ....Rommie has the most gorgeous cute face... I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.   Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lovely boy, but defiant. Update on Bo, formerly Callum.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next