Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Introducing Polly

Go down 
+8
otamot
Mary-Anne
Betty
Pitta
tessa
Gail
Little Miss The Estate
Richard
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

Introducing Polly - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 3:49 am

Betty wrote:
Just spoke to hubby and he said that guy had been warned that the bull would get him, and it did. And yes, he fussed over it because he used to show it. They're the most dangerous bull, yet the cows are just lovely.

You are right Betty they are dangerous bulls,i dont know of any Jersey bulls in our area,which is good because i dont really want her put to one anyway.The last bull she was put to was a Angus x which produced an excellent sized calf.

Pollys colour has turned dark now that shes getting her dense winter coat,shes more a silver colour mid summer
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 8:33 am

The only two bulls we've had on the place, Richard, were a Freisian bull, and a pure jersey. The former was huge, and unfortunately his owner de-horned him just before she bought him over, and it was blowfly weather. He got a flyblown horn - yuk - and it meant a vet visit, then us having to rig up a crush and treat the horn daily. Cursed nuisance. Mainly we'd take cows out to beef bulls though, and if not an Angus, it'd be a Murray Grey. I hope you didn't think I meant Polly's was a bad colour? It's just a typical jersey colour, she is a very nice cow.
We once battled with an extremely stubborn heifer, trying to load her on a neighbor's farm to bring her home, so imagine how worried I was when I knew we had to take the jersey bull home. You wouldn't believe it though, without a ramp, but cornered near the trailer, he just did a neat little jump up into it. LOL. Obviously he was used to being shifted around.
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:20 pm

Maybe he knew - a hop jump and skip and I get taken off for some fun!
Back to top Go down
Bubba Louie
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Bubba Louie

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:59 pm

Betty wrote:
Just spoke to hubby and he said that guy had been warned that the bull would get him, and it did. And yes, he fussed over it because he used to show it. They're the most dangerous bull, yet the cows are just lovely.

Mum came from farming stock and I always remember her saying jersey bulls were nasty.
My cousin and her husband have a Brahman stud and a cow had a go at her. She ran into the dam but it came in after her and gored her in the stomach pushing her into the mud. It was nasty and she was home alone, so she had to get out and up to the house to call for help. She was in hospital for quite a while.
Strangely though another cousin also has a Brahman stud and he says his animals have great temperaments. Mind you he breeds for temperament as well.

i never did hear what became of the cow.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Pamela, you are spot on! Laughing I'm sure Audrey would have shifted that Jersey bull about, putting him with different cows/heifers. He also had a very neat little hop if he was faced with a cow that I thought would be too tall for him to serve. I nearly died laughing when I saw his technique. Where there's a will, there's a way. thumb2
My uncle used to throw a bale of hay in with his two jersey bulls, jump in if they weren't close and cut the twine, pull it out then vault the fence if they were getting close. We once went shares with one but when it was with our partner it started to go after him so we didn't mess around, we let him sell it.

Golly, Bubba Louie, your cousin was incredibly lucky to escape with her life. Once they get a bee in their bonnet it can take a while for them to calm down and stop an attack. A friend got attacked by their pet ram and the pain she thought was just from him hitting her was actually a heart attack, so another near thing. They do say farms are one of the most dangerous workplaces, don't they?
Back to top Go down
Bubba Louie
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Bubba Louie

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 3:58 pm

I think, from memory, she was actually trying to get the ungrateful wretch out of the mud at the time.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 5:09 pm

That sounds about right. Laughing She was a proper cow.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 5:12 pm

Betty wrote:
That sounds about right. Laughing She was a proper cow.

laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears I have know a few of those in my time Betty Suspect
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Haven't we all, Cheryl, and some almost as dangerous. winky-winky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Polly   Introducing Polly - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introducing Polly
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Garden Delights :: Around the yard-
Jump to: