Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully

Go down 
+10
lorraine
Betty
Jennywren
Brenda
Pitta
tessa
Little Miss The Estate
Mary-Anne
Gail
Garden Dan
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 12:14 pm

Garden Dan wrote:
Sounds like a great plan...I bet I would brush my head on it regularly! Unless it was at least 5feet off the ground...well maybe 5'8" winky-winky winky-winky winky-winky
A bit like the old Brylcreem (sp?) from years back...'a little dab will do you'... laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 3:44 am

Are the old stick back look - they WERE the Happy Days!

Cheryl...we should NEVER let a bug beat us. I too have Never had success with cabbages - all the more reason to beat the blighters!
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 9:57 am

Why not put your cabbages, cauli's etc. under cover like my sister did, with the poly pipe frame and some netting? Not much of an expense compared to the vegie cage, Dan.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 10:03 am

Quote :
we should NEVER let a bug beat us.

Daniel.. I wonder if you will be saying that when all your roses start blooming scratch
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Too true Mary-Anne; too true! In fact the possums et al are still eating everything outside the cage Sad
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 3:58 pm

No room for the roses in there I suppose.. whistle
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Afraid not...and no money left to build more cages...might look a little silly also. Have been thinking about a shade house and a sun house though...I think I will be working until the next ice age to pay for all this stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Garden Dan wrote:
Too true Mary-Anne; too true! In fact the possums et al are still eating everything outside the cage Sad

If the possums have found your rose bushes it'll be a miracle if you see a rose, Dan. Do they attack your roses, Mary-Anne?
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:13 pm

90 Million up for grabs on Tuesday Daniel
I don't suppose you ever buy tickets in Lotto.

Possums, What Possums Betty I prayer that I dont get any.
I would not know what a Possum looked like if I fell over it Thankfully worship
I have enough other insects to contend with club
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Yes, possums are in my yard and they feed above the rose bushes; I suspect they contribute to the damage on the bushes but we did get some lovely blooms last year as well, for which we are thankful!
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:40 pm

I think that you are very lucky to get some roses then Daniel..
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:44 am

Yes, the little furry darlings are renowned for their love of rose petals. I'm glad you don't get them at your place, Mary-Anne. Thankfully I own a possum trap,(loaned out right now to a friend of someone who thinks they have a possum in the ceiling), and here the possums risk their lives raiding the garden anyway because of my cats. No point in putting a curfew on the cats as the forest over the road is the favored dumping spot for the town's unwanted cats I think, judging by how many ferals there are. Mine at least are de-sexed and very well fed.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:59 am

Yes I am lucky Betty... Sad about the Cats I am not a lover of cats, but no way would I do that to any animal, even our dogs were de-sexed and locked in the house of a night..

Are you saying that if you have cats you may not get possums Question
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:46 am

I was saying that possums risk their lives coming into the garden because the big bad cats will eat them.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Very interesting Betty.. I wonder if Daniel and Kerry like cats
Forget it I don't think that's a good idea as they have about 20 chooks..
And Kerrie has lots of Budgerigars too..
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:37 pm

The possums around here are bigger than the cats and the chooks chase our cats... quite funny to watch... a cat will be lying in the shade having a sleep and a chook wanders over to see what it is... I've never seen a cat jump so high lol! No cat or dog in our yard is safe from the chooks or ducks - the dogs won't go near them unless we are there too
The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 19thJune2008ChookonJewels600x450

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 9thAugust2007Duckduckindogbed
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 pm

What a beautiful photo of the two Goldens with the duck. Very Happy
Mary-Anne, my cats have never bothered our chooks, though they do kill smaller birds when they can. They tend to keep the possum population controlled by possibly getting the younger possums, though I have seen a few fairly big brushes under trees. Don't know whether the two boys are like big cats and hunt together or not, wouldn't put it past them because when there is a feral cat here that they want to hunt off the place, both go after it.

Gail, in the photo of the chook on the dog's back I can almost hear her saying to the chooks that are watching "Now here is how you ride a dog".
What lovely dogs the Goldens are. So gentle.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Kerrie likes cats...but would not like them hurting birds; especially her budgies, cockateils, and finches. I am not a big fan of cats but don't mind sedate cats belonging to others, especially if they live inside where they cannot be predators of wildlife.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:06 pm

Garden Dan wrote:
I am not a big fan of cats but don't mind sedate cats belonging to others, especially if they live inside where they cannot be predators of wildlife.

I totally agree Daniel thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 8:41 pm

oUR DAUGHTER AND SON-IN-LAW HAVE TWO CATS THAT LIVE INSIDE. Ooooops, capslock.

They built a cat run outside that the cats can access from the laundry; so they can get outside but cannot 'get away'. They are very well cared for cats...and very healthy.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Our other side next door neighbour has a wire caged cat run right near our boundary fence

We get the smell and all.. Glad we have a wide block ...
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Yes...it was bad for you there for a while Mary-Anne - you and Tony exercised great patience and restraint I thought.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 pm

There still there and the Council say they are working on it whistle
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:14 am

I thought they had reduced the number of cats in there???
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 am

We thought so too, but what she has done is got one of the cages moved to the middle of her block and she put green shade cloth on the side facing us, Alice our back neighbour told us, cunning woman that one.. club
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next