Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings

Go down 
+5
Betty
Pitta
Little Miss The Estate
Gail
Mary-Anne
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings   Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks Tessa.. Even though I let Tony do the tying up leaf pinching and cutting off I wont let him water them as I feel he is much too generous that way, like every second day down the back with the Beefsteaks gasp I prefer to feel the soil and if they are still damp I wont water, after all it is Winter though its warming up banana banana

I have asked Tony to lop off that bottom branch, his hands are more steadier with a knife than mine they are very thick branches for such a short plant . Actually when I get off here I will go and look properly maybe some of those back plants branches can come off too..

I looked at that link thanks I am amazed that people grow so many veggies in pots. The last pic the coloured one they look good..

I don't think the ones at the front will get much bigger I hope they do too but to me they look like they are starting to ripen a little. I have never fed them but a few weeks back I put a little ashes from the fire in the middle of the bed I don't think it did anything for or against them..

Thanks Gail we are very pleased with them.. Wont be long and your plants will get a move on its certainly warmer this week..
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings   Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:14 am

ashes at this point won't do much good. scotias are determinates, just like romas, which mean that they set most of their fruit all at once...and when those are ripe...that's it, the plant is done.
since you already have your fruitset...the potassium from the ashes probably won't be able to force another flush of flowers....but maybe. time will tell!
the ash will prepare the bed for the next crops for sure...and won't do anything to harm the plants that are there now.
i'm not seeing any ripening yet in those pics...so hopefully you will get some more swell. we'll see. scotia did really well in the blistering perth heat last year (45C) and so i think you can grow them year round over there. just save yourself some seeds, and they'll come true and you can keep yourself in tomatoes...providing the thick skins do protect from the fruitfly and are not actually the plant's response to 45 degree weather.
hmm. i wonder.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings   Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:07 pm

I will measure that front light green one once a week , maybe that will make it grow bigger..

Oh Ok so when I get the first lots of seeds it would probably be best to grow only two plants at a time but at closer intervals so I have continuous fruit.

We don't get heat like that here Tessa its the humidity that kills our plants in the summer they get all kind of terrible diseases when and if we get the rain.. Plus they taste so watery that's when they split and the fruit fly gets in.. Best they are grown in large pots over the wet season so they can be moved undercover..
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Ripe At Last   Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 8:30 am

Yippee these smaller tomatoes at the front are ripe at last.
I was going to pick them a couple of days ago but they were green at the back.
One is getting very soft so I will pick it later in the afternoon.

Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Ripe-August-27-09-IMG_0268

They have taken 4½ months to grown from seed to picking and that's over Winter
Which was not as cold as some Winters I have experienced here where we have had frosts..
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings   Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 9:29 am

thumb2 hopefully many more to come too!

The warmer weather has given my small tommies a boost so shouldn't be too long now before they start fruiting... the others are nearly finished so not before time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings   Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:43 am

banana Won't be long now till they are in the mouth.
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings   Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 12:17 pm

I am looking forward to it .. Three of the plants have grown so much the tallest one right side at the back is now 140cms tall and has much bigger tomatoes on it though they are still a dark green..

Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Scotia-1-IMG_0273
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings   Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Update On Scotia Tomato Seedlings
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3