Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Beware of fallen trees

Go down 
+3
Gail
Karingal
Pitta
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

Beware of fallen trees Empty
PostSubject: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Due to a lack of new picies, I've gone into the archive photo's and found a pic not posted before .
This is the house where my Mum lived on our block and was removed just over a year ago..
During a gale force wind a tree came down on the house , messy, but as the house was well insured it did'nt cost us anything for repairs.

Beware of fallen trees 29May04056

Beware of fallen trees 29May04033
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:24 am

A few years back we had half of our melaleuca tree go over (it was a Y shape) onto next doors roof. It was very worrying, thankfully no damage was done as our fernery took the initial brunt of the fall.
I love trees, but prefer them in an upright position winky-winky
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 9:39 am

At least no one was hurt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 11:59 am

Yes I agree, no trees at all at my house Shocked cept for 1 small lilly pilly, a jacaranda that I will never see get to maturity and fruit trees, all the big old ones where cut down the week I moved in club
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Plenty of huge tall trees in our garden, and so far the only ones that have landed on the house.
Would be the one that the male owner cut with the Beware of fallen trees Chainsaw and even though it had a long rope on it, he said the wind took it laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears what a cop out , while I watched it from the window as it fell towards the house gee did I move fast lucky it only hit the corner of bullnose roof and guttering on the verandah.. whistle
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Then there was the gum tree that the same person cut down and it landed on the electricity wires out the front and I had to ring Energex up so they could get out here with a cherry-picker Embarassed and would you believe by time they got here it had fell off.. Mad

Then there was the one that got caught in another tall gum tree and it took many hours to slide down a forked branch Embarassed I supposed that not bad as there where many tall trees that came down with no trouble, the last three lots we got the professionals in and would you believe one tree hit the front gate and bent it bad and another landed on the Arch with Crepuscule on it.. There is more but I wont bore you.. I decided that rest of the trees are there to stay..

Sometimes better the Devil you know... Very Happy

And one thing I have not had is a boring life... laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Gail wrote:
At least no one was hurt.
Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Thankfully we don't have any big trees near our house, and when one like this falls chances are there won't be any sheep in the wrong place at the wrong time. White ants and 100klm winds took this tree down, it was the tallest in the paddock.
Beware of fallen trees Shadoe10
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Yes its a shame to see these Majestic Giants bite the dust Betty... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Some might jump up and down, glad to have the firewood, but I mourned the loss of that beautiful tree. It was putting on new growth from the trunk, but I see now that was killed off by the summer heat. I went for a bit of a wander this arvo to see what had or hadn't survived. Poor tree. Crying or Very sad
Beware of fallen trees 28th_m10
Back to top Go down
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 4:10 pm

A shame about the tree, Betty...on the upside...what a fantastic, overall shot. thumb2
Back to top Go down
Val
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Val

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 4:15 pm

It sure is a nice photo Betty!
Back to top Go down
http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks girls. I thought the light was really nice when I took that. My sister asked me for photo's of gum trees for a painting her art teacher wants done and I think it might be this one she'll use. If she isn't in a rush I could do better I think. Beware of fallen trees Grampi11
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:21 am

Betty lovely pics . your trees are an Artist's paradise . I know the sadness of tree loss .

MA .You must hold the record for tree falls. Beware of fallen trees 3094 Beware of fallen trees 3093
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:37 am

Certainly are lovely pics Betty and you are a great photographer you have captured the light well

You could be right Gwen.. We have removed 24 trees from this block.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Tree huggers unite! I admit that I love trees and if it hadn't been for these lovely old trees here I mightn't have been so enthusiastic to shift so far out of town. My favorite dog show venues are always the ones with the most trees, or the biggest most magestic trees, like Daylesford show ground.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 4:14 pm

What would a dog show be without lots of trees I ask you whistle Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Karingal
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Karingal

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Betty wrote:
Tree huggers unite! I admit that I love trees and if it hadn't been for these lovely old trees here I mightn't have been so enthusiastic to shift so far out of town.
I also love trees...however we had two huge gums removed after discovering they were hollow in the trunk...if they had gone over in a storm part of the neighbourhood would have been wiped out.
Funnily enough my first positive note about this place, when we bought it... ..you guessed it..the gum trees. At that time I was ignorant as to the damage that can ensue from drop of limbs IE on a small suburbian block, neighbours houses, fences etc.

Gum trees and suburbia are not a good mix, regretfully.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:47 pm

No, Fay, and once a gum drops a branch they seem to go on doing it.

Very funny, Cheryl. Laughing Laughing Oh, another really lovely venue, when they used to hold dog shows there ,was the park in Stawell where the Stawell Gift is held. It has really gigantic old Oak trees that provide a lot of shade on hot days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fallen trees   Beware of fallen trees Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beware of fallen trees
Page 1 of 1