Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens

Go down 
+3
Gail
otamot
Little Miss The Estate
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Empty
PostSubject: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:36 am

In this mornings paper Suspect

March 20, 2009 12:00am

BIG, ugly cockroaches are invading Melbourne. The black bugs are breeding in suburban gardens thanks to the growing use of mulch to save water.

But before you panic, that intruder in your kitchen sink, bathroom or barbecue is probably a harmless native attracted to light or hunting moisture.

Pest controllers and Museum Victoria are reporting more roach sightings from freaked-out residents fearing their houses need fumigation.

But, unlike the nasty little German roaches that thrive on filth and food scraps, hide in the dark and carry disease, the common shining cockroach munches on organic matter and breaks down leaf litter.

Museum Victoria entomology expert Simon Hinkley said the large critters were migrating from the bush to suburbia and the CBD's edge as mulch was dumped on gardens.

"These ones seem quite stupid and don't run when they see you," Mr Hinkley said. "They are not as cluey as the pests that use the cover of darkness.

"If you can, try to return the natives outside rather than killing them because they help return nutrients to soil."

Adams Pest Control supervisor Colin Price said more smokybrown cockroaches, an introduced pest that mainly fed on plant matter, also were crawling into homes seeking water. Mr Price said more city dwellers were seeing cockroaches for the first time.

Some of the insects were transported in egg sacs in mulch that was bought in bulk and put in planter boxes.

Mr Hinkley said there had been a frenzy of cockroach activity over the hot, dry summer. But the home intrusions should die down with more rain and the approaching colder weather.

Householders could also reduce invasion risk by fixing leaking taps, sealing cracks and crevices, and removing stacks of newspapers and magazines.

The common shining cockroach is among 400 species of native Australian cockroaches.
Back to top Go down
otamot
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
otamot

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:44 am

i get lots of native cockroaches in my garden and i leave them be. for some reason there is always one on top of the shadehouse door and jumps on me when i open it affraid
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:47 am

We get plenty of those native ones here but they usually stay outside... they are fine and welcome here... different if we spot one of the other ones though club

Here are a few natives
http://www.austmus.gov.au/factSheets/cockroaches.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 7:13 am

Third one looks familiar Rolling Eyes

Problem is Gail I put my Cocktail on the big black coffee table and it walked off laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 7:14 am

Oh dear Ota, I have them in the house, on the walls etc.... ewwwwww Mad
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:20 am

We dont get any big ones in the house only the small ones. I Mortein Surface Sprayed all the cupboards, behind the bookcases and wardrobes and all the rooms one day last week kept the house shut up for a few hours went food shopping when we came back I had to get Tony to open all the doors and windows but the smell wasn't too bad at all as I used the Low irritant one.. Haven't seen one yet but that's not to say there isn't any there..
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:26 am

Actually I have flea bombs in the cupboard, maybe I should use them and surface spray the entry points thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:32 am

I would spray around the doors/windows inside and out forget about out though you need rain

Yep spray outside as I bet it will rain after you have done it.. banana banana
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:53 am

laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears bit like in the old days when you could wash your car bad day
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 10:41 am

Oh Yeah... banana banana
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks Cheryl for that news item,and Gail for that site you posted, some
really pretty roaches there.
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:43 am

Wow 400 native aussie species,that's a lot.
New Zealand only has a couple and they are in the North Island,thank goodness we dont get to see any down here. Ack
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 3:58 am

I wish I could surface spray outside for the spiders but too many frogs here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 5:23 am

There are none of the house cockroaches here - in fact the only thing that can get inside are the weeny spiders with hair like legs. None outside either but I have seen some of the native bugs when I have moved mulch. I see piles of dirt in the manure this morning so must have dung beetles - hooray! But I am about to worm the horses so hope it doesn't upset the beetles but I will keep the dose to the lowest possible and maybe put the horses up on the hill for a day or two until it is out of their system so that they do not upset the tummy of the nice dung beetles.
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 5:24 am

duplicate removed
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 5:32 am

sounds like a busy day Pamela thumbs-up those spiders if I am right I call em daddy long legs Question
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:49 pm

No these are the tiny spiders Cheryl that have legs about a cm long that are thinner than a hair and their legs are usually bent. For some great reason on the design of this house these tiny thin little spiders are the only ones that can squeeze in here as the place is very well sealed. But they are a nuisance and make webs on the ceiling none the less. And my living room ceiling is ??20 foot or so at the peak.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:52 pm

gasp Need a cherry picker to clean the cobbies Pamela laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears Does it help to keep the house cool, the high ceilings are 8 - feet and when I go into the new homes I feel my head is gunna hit the ceiling and that is all 5 foot 4 of me as well laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Hey Cheryl you are taller than me..
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:27 pm

Mary-Anne wrote:
Hey Cheryl you are taller than me..

gasp Laughing Laughing Laughing GeeezzzzI feel so tall now cat
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Really... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens   'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Intelligent' cockroaches invading Melbourne's gardens
Page 1 of 1