Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

April roses

Go down 
+3
Pitta
Little Miss The Estate
Val
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

April roses - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April roses   April roses - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 10:08 am

Makes JR seem like a woman with say red hair that has to be so careful of the colours she wears, or in this case, the company she keeps. Laughing
Relocatable roses are the way to go when the temperatures reach 40 and higher, Val. I think maybe Lavender Pinnochio could be one that ends up in a very big pot near our back door. Hubby must like it because when I said I'd best plant it out in the orchard he said "Aaawww, then you'll never see it". He means he won't, I spend plenty of time out there. winky-winky Nice that he's even that interested. Hey, he even suggested more garden beds. gasp I am pleased with the recent buys like Lavender Pinnochio, Angel Face and Mauve Tutu. Well, Paul Bocuse too. All just so pretty.(and cheap, some reduced by 30%). I suppose I should check how big those roses get before I consider leaving them potted?
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: April roses   April roses - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 10:14 am

A Face smells sooooooooo good I love you
Back to top Go down
Val
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Val

PostSubject: Re: April roses   April roses - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:50 pm

Errr......yes, Betty, check how tall they can grow! Being in a pot doesn't make them grow shorter either. You may be more organised than me, I just planted them by colour and then affraid
Back to top Go down
http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com/
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: April roses   April roses - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 5:14 pm

I have Julia's rose in the bed in front of my house with a whole lot of cerise coloured roses (eg Dark Lady, Falstaff, Fisherman's Friend, Sophy rose and a few more of that ilk) but there is also a weeping crepuscle so she is not alone in her apricot-ness. I don't think she clashes with the reds. In my orchard bed there are 4 Julia with pinks .. oh well ... Souvenir de la Malmaison is not that pink pink.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: April roses   April roses - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 12:23 am

Laughing @ you, Val. It'll be the same for me. In fact even when planting flowers I have no idea of the height and width they'll get to, and I know that if all else fails you read the instructions, but who has time? So, life is full of (often, not so little) surprises. gasp LOL.
I have Fisherman's Friend, Pamela. I would have thought Julia's rose would be a bit too rich in her colour to go well with that but now you have me intrigued. Do you have any photo's of them flowering?
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: April roses   April roses - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 7:42 am

I could go and take a photo as they all have a few blooms but it is very overcast and looks like rain. I like the combo of apricot and cerise. Chose cerise as my house is weathered cedar so no colour anywhere and I thought the cerise would be good. But I had a weeping crepuscle in a pot in the previous house I lived in - it was in the pot for about 10 years and was a ball about 2 feet at the most in diameter with an occasional few blooms that I celebrated and every disease roses can get. It is now ginormous - several metres wide and weeping to the ground and always covered in blooms that I can see from my front gate which is 200 metres away. So because I had this hope that it would take off like it has, I could only plant it in the bed in front of the house as that was the only garden bed here when I moved in. So apricot and cerise it became and I planted more creps on my front verandah in front of this bed. And then bought two Julia's rose and thought where do I put them and so stuck them in there also. As I said, I like the combo. Exhausted ATM from a big day yesterday - including riding on Elle (now trotting for 30 mins at a time with short breaks after each bout) and I get so tired but am getting stronger. Will try and take a photo of the bed.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: April roses   April roses - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:04 am

I can sort of picture Crep with those other roses, just not Julia's Rose. Hope you can get a photo when you get over the riding. Good exercise, isn't it? As a teenager I'd think nothing of riding 20 mile or more with my friends, and my little fox terrier would follow, being picked up and allowed to stand on the front of the saddle when he got tired. Blackjack was 15.2 and I'd just lean over, pat his shoulder and little Scottie would jump up and down until I could grab his collar. LOL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April roses   April roses - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

April roses
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2