Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..

Go down 
+3
Pitta
Betty
Mary-Anne
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Empty
PostSubject: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Lavender Dream which hardly every looks that colour its a rambler and I grow three of them in the shade.

Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. LD-Rose-IMG_6933

I think I will have to dig all the roses up and destroy them as every second one has that white fungi stuff on them even Crepuscule on the Arch one has it and not the other, Sea Foam and Just Joey are dead, Camp David and Mary Rose are almost gone too and La Sevillana who had the little green frog on it a few ago is looking very sick, as well as Iceberg, Renae, Edelweiss, Joy of life and Brass Band this disease its fast whatever it is.. I am trying to save Seduction, Charles de Gaulle, Apricot Nectar, Lovely Lady, Gold Bunny and Julia's Rose and the three new last year DA roses I hosed and scrubbed the white stuff off them but it made no difference, noticed it on a white Oleander this morning so its now travelling to the back garden I cut that branch off maybe it will make a difference.

The three Lavender Dream ramblers under all the trees and in full shade are ok for now, so dont know if I should keep them or what, certainly not keeping them if all the others die..Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Crying2
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:33 pm

What is it , Mary-Anne, rose scale, or powdery mildew? How tragic to lose so many roses. Sad
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:12 pm

I think it is a scale as there is another one coming on them as well that I do recognize I am so disappointed with the roses Betty they are too much work here getting caterpillars in them all the time, I feel sorry for the little frogs as they love then hopefully they will live in the hibiscus now.

I enjoyed taking photo's of the roses and putting them on the Art site I am on, I wont be replacing them that's for sure.. Tony wanted to dig them up years ago when he seen how upset I used to get, and the time I spent trying to get the caterpillars off them. A very expensive lesson I have learnt but that's life isn't it..
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:35 pm

White oil, Mary-Anne, did you see my other post?
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:19 pm

Yes I just read it and replied Betty Thanks.. Its too late for most of them..
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:20 pm

0H,MA thats a terrible position to be in for sure.you wonder are the roses worth the effort you have put in over ther years. I adore Roses especially Betty's Avatar but I know its against all better judgement foe me to grow any especially as I cannot get about to tend to them.I try to stick to plants I know will thrive here, its not always easy as I love all plants.
MA maybe its time for a rethink on what to grow.You are the only one who can take that
decision.I only wish you could find out how to kill that ,fungus or whatever it is .
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:42 pm

So sad to read the names of those you lost, Mary-Ann. I have got just one Just Joey bloom, a little bit knocked around by the wind and rain, and this is the first time I've realised what a beautiful perfume it has. I'd hate to lose it. For the beauty of this plant, couldn't you just get in a good supply of white oil and plant more roses?

Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. 28th_a10
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:44 pm

No Betty I have had enough.. Pretty as it is, did you know that was my favourite rose..

Not to worry Gwen.. I would not grow any in Qld again to many years of drough then all that rain. club

Betty said white oil so I will spray the ones that are left tomorrow and if they die
Well so be it..
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Good luck. I hope if it works you will reconsider.

Must go exercise the dogs now, it's going to get cold early. Frost in the morning. thumb2 Hehehe!
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 7:36 pm

No I don't think so Betty, this is really a terrible area for Roses.
Thanks all the same..
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:02 am

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad very sad for you AM as I know you love your roses, fingers crossed the white oil does the trick club
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:57 am

Last edited by pamela on Mon May 04, 2009 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 12:09 pm

It's not powdery mildew, Pamela, it's rose scale we think. They'd breed well in humid areas, wouldn't they?
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Pamela its not the humidity and the heat that I worry so much about and I dont get any mildew on my roses, I do get lots of Blackspot and I just pull the leaves off and bin them, its the Caterpillars I cannot stop them, even tried Dipel last year it just got too expensive..

So it does not matter which roses I grow Pamela the caterpillars are not fussy about what variety they feed on, so I wont be growing any more new roses on this block of land..
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Last edited by pamela on Mon May 04, 2009 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 2:53 pm

gees M A i really feel for ya,so sad to hear that you are losing some of your roses,i dont grow many roses yet but i can understand how you must feel Sad
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 3:37 pm

The bougs are coming into bloom now Pamela with not as many flowers as they usually have.
All that rain in one go was too much for them they like it dry.

Yes it has been a very disapointing time with the roses Richard so perhaps its for the best..
I have sprayed them all today even the dead ones, I reckon I am waiting for a miracle
Maybe the angel angel will hear my prayer prayer
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 3:48 pm

MA I think everyone is holding out hope for you.Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. 526
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks Gwen I found a big friend on one of them I will put a pic on later..
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 8:28 pm

I know Dusty is only a baby but I cannot call it a small friend, the little frogs are small friends.

I reckon Dusty has grown a bit in the past few weeks perhaps it is filling up on scale.. laughing wit tears

Dusty doing its thing on whats left of La Sevillana that scarlet red standard.

Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Dusty-IMG_7137

I am sure it is filling out more well its face looks a lot fatter..

Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Dusty-IMG_7170

I never did get to spray it, Oh well there is always tomorrow.. whistle
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Mmmm that rose dont looks do goods I would be hard pruning now and wipin of with a rag as much of the yuckies you can , keep 3 main green new stalks and cut the rest back to the graft and yes 'white oil' gasp
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Golly, Mary-Anne, isn't Dusty's camouflage brilliant? LOL. You have to look twice to see him. Maybe he is up there eating the scale? You have a reasonable amount of green there and a tiny bit of new growth. Are you sure it hasn't just gone dormant. My La Sevillana in the bush form looks just the same. Sorry, see you had the same idea about Dusty and the scale. They are just insects after all, and 3 cheers for Dusty if he has a taste for them. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks for the advice Cheryl.. Thats one of the good roses, the body is bad these days so cannot get down anymore to wipe a lot of that off this is a different scale to the one that is on the other roses that are dead, yes there are a few new shoots and a little green on this rose.. I rubbed some of the scale off early this morning on the Crepuscule on the arch that came off easy at shoulder height cannot bend today the back is very bad so the rest will have to stay that way.

Dusty's camouflage is fantastic Betty I was quite shocked when I realised it was there I am always on the look out for little green frogs but I did not expect to see it on the roses, I do hope I have not taken away its desert I had already sprayed the stem of that standard and hope and it was not too slippery on the way down.. No the rose is not going dormant this weather and Spring is usually the best time of the year for them.

Something else I seen eating the scale too was the same slug that Gail put photo's on recently of course I did not realise it was that light coloured slug as it looked like a mass of the white scale it was only when the oil started dripping off I seen the red line on the slug and realized what it was, first time I have seen one and I probably killed another of the good guys hammer hammer
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 8:27 am

Just had a thought. Could Dusty have a liking for the rose leaves rather than the scale? I know that blue tongues down here like to eat capeweed flowers, mulberries etc.. Oh, and the ends of carrots I cut off when trimming them for the ponies. Might be best if the white oil kept him and the scale away.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 8:34 am

Maybe you are right Betty.. I will spray that one today.
They like eating newly sprouted veggies seeds here especially peas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..   Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keep It Or Not As The Roses Are Dieing..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next