Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bought from our local Garden Expo

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

Bought from our local Garden Expo Empty
PostSubject: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:53 am

We went to our local Garden Expo on the weekend, we weren't planning on buying anything but ended up coming home with these... the only excuse we have is they were cheap geek

Anthurium hookeri - labelled as this but apparently these aren't always correctly labelled, probably a hybrid but doesn't worry us as we like the birds nest style foliage anthuriums.
Bought from our local Garden Expo 1stMay2009Anthuriumhookeri450x600

Philodendron williamsii - another one likely mislabelled as apparently these are often labelled as williamsii when the are really P. stenolobum. Whichever it is we didn't have either one in our philo collection.
Bought from our local Garden Expo 1stMay2009Philowilliamsiiorstenolob

Another anthurium - flowering one this time. Also bought a couple of mixed seedling anthuriums that could be any colour - a local anthurium grower (actually a bromeliad grower, the anthuriums are just a hobby) was experimenting with crossing different colours and had quite a few that hadn't flowered yet but as she has been unwell has to sell a lot of her stock. I didn't take any pictures of these seedling ones.
Bought from our local Garden Expo 1stMay2009Anthuriumfromgardenexpo60

Also bought 4 named mini neoreglia bromeliads (the 4 in black pots at the front) from the same lady
Bought from our local Garden Expo 1stMay2009Minineobroms600x450
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
edleigh7
Dirt Poker
edleigh7

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 5:37 am

Nice Gail, certainly appears to be hookerii, I obtained one myself the other day but mine is only small, but I have a few others yet to be identified. Compare yours with http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20hookeri%20pc.html
Also your philo is almost certainly stenelobum, the thin leaf form, I also have this and enjoy it a lot,,,,
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 7:55 am

You did well Gail and why else would you go to an Expo, to buy new pants of course Laughing Laughing whistle
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 9:06 am

They look nice healthy plants Gail . I have been meaning to ask , do you grow all you lovely flowering Anthuriums in pots or can they go in the garden as well.?
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
edleigh7
Dirt Poker
edleigh7

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 10:21 am

In Gails abscence, you can grow Anthuriums in pots or the ground but mostly they must have well drained soil. They even grow on trees as epiphytes...
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:51 am

Very good Gail quite a assortment, lovely healthy plants too.
Shame about the growers health all the same..

Gwen all of my Anthuriums are in the ground here and they grow well.
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Quote :
You did well Gail and why else would you go to an Expo, to buy new pants of course

Cheryl not many pants there... plenty of plants though lol! lol!

Thanks Mary-Anne.

Gwen we have anthuriums both in the ground and in pots. Most of these will go into the ground too after winter. I'd love to have them on trees too but they would dry out too much here.

Ed, I looked at that link when we bought hookeri but thought it looked different to that one. We have another in the ground that looks more like those pictures of hookeri than the new one. This one has a fairly soft leaf, the other one we have has a much thicker or coarser leaf. I'll get a photo of the other one later... I've only just got home and sat down for a break and too lazy to get up again geek
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Quote :
Cheryl not many pants there... plenty of plants though

woops laughing wit tears laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 8:14 pm

thumb2 Thanks Gail for info. on Anthurium planting.Bought from our local Garden Expo 3091
I would never call you LAZY. stuffed maybe ,but never lazy..
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
edleigh7
Dirt Poker
edleigh7

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 5:55 am

Yeah hookerii is hard to find I think, yours looks like a plowmanii hybrid. I am not a purest cause I love hybrids to. I thought I had a hookerii but mine is still young so time will tell, though I 'obtained' it from a pretty reliable source, but we will see...
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:23 am

Quote :
I am not a purest cause I love hybrids too

We're the same Ed, we don't buy them because they are rare but because we like the look of them.

We have 3 birds nest anthuriums now - the big one with the purple flowers you saw when you dropped in (it never did get seeds on it), the new one and this one (pics below) - still only small yet but the leaves are thick like the big one you've seen not soft and thinner like the new one. The flower is only tiny and doesn't get much colour to it.
Bought from our local Garden Expo 8thMay2009Birdsnestanthurium001600x

Bought from our local Garden Expo 8thMay2009Birdsnestanthurium004600x

Bought from our local Garden Expo 8thMay2009Birdsnestanthurium006600x
None of them have the small black dots on the backs of the leaves like on that link either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought from our local Garden Expo   Bought from our local Garden Expo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bought from our local Garden Expo
Page 1 of 1