Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully

Go down 
+10
lorraine
Betty
Jennywren
Brenda
Pitta
tessa
Little Miss The Estate
Mary-Anne
Gail
Garden Dan
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Empty
PostSubject: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:10 am

Well, it is almost done...a bit of dry weather should have me planting in it this weekend! I can't wait!

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully IMG_0175

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully IMG_0180

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully IMG_0184
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:53 am

That is excellent thumb2 I'll have to come back and look at those pics again... running out of time now Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:11 am

I am hopeful that the possums cannot get through wire...actually considered wrapping birdwire over/around it as well but trying to avoid excessive expense.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 7:09 am

No the possums wont get through that... Looks good, all the best with that.. thumb2
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 7:37 am

WOW Daniel that is So cool, I'm very jealous gasp
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 am

daniel...that is FANTASTIC!!!
if it gets too hot...you can throw shade cloth over it. oh...i am soooo jealous!!!
oh, oh! and you can grow things *up* it!
oooohhhhh.
i want!

now.
i'm looking at that gate. can a possum get under it? the last thing you want is to trap one *in* it!
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 7:56 am

i forgot to say....

and what a lot of work.
did you make it yourself? or did you have someone make it for you?

are those chickens in there?
Back to top Go down
Pitta
Gardener
Gardener
Pitta

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 9:30 am

thumb2 Great Daniel .it sure looks possum proof .You can be proud of yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://gwen4gardens.blogspot.com/
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 am

Just thinking... to make it absolutely perfect... insect screening over it all... no pests at all lol! backwards
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:26 am

and full of exotic plants I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
Brenda
Dirt Poker
Brenda

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:46 am

Thats wonderful flower
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks folks for your encouragement. The plan is to place a row of timber or old pavers etc around the base so minimal gap between gates and ground....and hopefully no gap for remainder. I hope to begin planting on the Easter weekend.

Kerrie is keen for me to raise the beds so we can walk around them but not sure I will first up. The soil has been worked for a couple of years now...and has been rotary hoed many times...but has been sitting with weeds now since new house was built.

Dimensions are 10M x 6 M...double gates one end for ute to back up to and single pedestrian gate at house end. We are piping tank water inside as well and have both tank and town water about 5 M away now. I intend running a sprinkler system so I can fine spray the entire area...maybe have a few taps to isolate a little if needed.

I expect to spend a lot of time in there over next 20 years. Smile

All I need now is power and a fridge....Smile
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 pm

fridge is a great idea, dan. also a hammock for napping and reading would be a good idea too.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:12 pm

raised beds sound great and your 2 legged weeders and feeders doing a great job Daniel Laughing
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Yes Tessa, but I need to grow some passion fruit or something so I cannot be seen from the house...then need to install and early warning device for approaching Chief of Domestic Vigilence
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:15 pm

LOL daniel!
laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Should be a place of happy hours I hope...and good fresh organic veges thumb2
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:45 pm

YAY great new avatar banana
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks!

I figure it is topical at the moment. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennywren
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
Jennywren

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 6:01 pm

Awesome veg patch, well done.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 6:06 pm

First I have to get veges in there - then keep possums and other critters out! club
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 12:46 am

Were the possums that much of a problem? As I've said, we live opposite a 1750 acre forest and never have the possums touched my vegie garden, nor the kangaroos come to think of it, although I'm told by a passerby that 3 came leaping out of our front garden one morning as he drove by. I'd love to have that enclosure though,I'd cover it with something to keep those cursed cabbage whites out and grow some great cauli's etc.. I've joined the ranks of the envious. LOL.
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 12:59 am

i'd say by the looks of that enclosure, all that expense and effort...i'd bet the possums were a HUGE problem.

gosh dan...still drooling with envy over here.
say...can i send you some spaghetti squash seeds? i would love to have that setup so i could run vines all over the inside...with pumpkins hanging down.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 5:52 am

Hi Tessa, I'll be grateful for any seeds that you desire to send...but forgive me if I grow them elsewhere...I am under threat of severe punishment if the vege cage gets untidy....it is right behind the house....with the windows revealing the back "garden"....well it will be garden one day. thumb2

I had a sarcastic response re how big the possum problem was but too often sarcasm is offensive so I shall refrain...possums ate every blooming thing I planted...and if they missed it...some other sticking #@!@#$%%$#@! critter got it!

I have a builder/handyman here doing some work and he offered to knock up the vege cage for me because he saw my frustration with not being able to grow veges...the thought of my supplying his family with a few veges may have also contributed...and of course some remuneration.
Back to top Go down
lorraine
Dirt Poker
lorraine

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 6:35 am

hi Garden Dan what a fabulous place you have there ,your possum proof veg garden enclosure should work a treat ,it looks really good
one good thing from what you have said is at least you can keep a good watch on it from the kitchen

we live out of town here but have been very lucky with no possums about
its all coming together now for you so well done
lorraine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next