Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully

Go down 
+10
lorraine
Betty
Jennywren
Brenda
Pitta
tessa
Little Miss The Estate
Mary-Anne
Gail
Garden Dan
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 pm

well...i grew...oh...about 30 varieties over the year. yes...a few plants of each.
my thought is that next year i will go with my 5 favourites (kimberley will be on that list) and 5 new ones...and THAT'S IT!
she says.
in april.
ha!
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:20 am

Ha Ha!

From what I hear - tomatoarians are an addictive bunch!
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 2:44 pm

That's what i said tessa about potatoes,two years ago i was growing 15 different varieties and was keen to down size,so this season i had only five.Now ive 14 for next season,been given a few as well as 6 different true potato seed varieties from Tom Wagner,
I just cant help myself duh banana
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:02 pm

I reckon I need to develop a spot outside the cage for the spuds...they seem to be ok...except for lady beetles that decimate them and cage won't stop that. Grrrrr
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:23 pm

medburygardens wrote:
That's what i said tessa about potatoes,two years ago i was growing 15 different varieties and was keen to down size,so this season i had only five.Now ive 14 for next season,been given a few as well as 6 different true potato seed varieties from Tom Wagner,
I just cant help myself duh banana

And don't you laugh, Dan, if someone says a potato is just a potato? I had someone tell me that tomatoes are just tomatoes and they buy them at the supermarket. Laughing Poor souls don't know what they are missing. Our supermarket surprised me by finally getting Nicola(?) potatoes in, and somewhere else had Kiplers(?). Wow! I really like both of those.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 7:46 pm

I love to give stuff away - so lots of tomatoes would be excellent! Smile banana banana banana I love you
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:53 am

It is good to give veggies away,i know an old fella who wont give any veggies to people who dont try to grow at least some for themselves,not a bad policy i say
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:57 am

I suppose. I just let them do their thing and I do mine.

I have had people decide to make me apple pies or do something else because I have done things like vege and eggs etc.

At work I give away free range eggs. Have done for a few years now. Kerrie does also. In my new job, some people do not like to 'take advantage' as they see it. Fair enough - I put a tin near my desk; they put in whatever they like. Every now and then I might take some money for a bag of chook food (haven't done so yet; but might Smile. We will use the money for brew club...and left over can support a child or something.

But, it is also a good thought...encourage others to have a go at growing own veges. We had some people here yesterday....saw my vege cage and are now talking of doing likewise.
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 am

Thats right dan its about people that can show some appreciation back
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 10:51 am

My MIL and I have a good deal... I keep her in plenty of eggs, also tomatoes and anything else I have excess of and she bakes yummy cakes and stuff for the kids cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Sounds like an excellent arrangement Gail.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Has any body had trouble getting leeks?

I am wanting to grow them and quite a few but have not found at bunnings or nursery. Nursery person told me today that this is correct time of year here; just none available...said they were a few weeks ago and waiting for next lot to come in.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 9:53 pm

We grew ours from a packet of seeds.

Correct time of the year they say Daniel humm you should have had them by late Summer or early Autumn so they grow over the cold weather.

Remember Green Harvest that site will tell you what to grow and when in the Subtropics.
Nothing like having the Yates Garden Guide at hand also.
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 4:33 am

correct Mary-Anne, but wouldn't it be nice if we could trust the gardening "experts" in our nursery when we pop in there.
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 7:43 am

I am still hoping that my leeks from last season will self so scratch
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:13 pm

It would be nice Daniel.. Dont think there are many of angel around these days..
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:39 am

Hi Mary-Anne - yes I suppose you are right - but until I can make more time in my day (the option we discussed constantly looms as a good one - the big R word (but not Rudd etc Smile) laughing wit tears laughing wit tears laughing wit tears - I guess I can just grasp opportunities...like ask others who should know.

I did think about other options but might just stick where I am at present. just can't seem to squeeze anything else into our lives. In fact need to start shedding some stuff!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 7:19 am

Yes there comes a time in life where you have to look at those options and look after yourself..
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 4:30 am

I had written a response but lost it...poof!

Yesterday Tracey (my daughter) took me across to her neighbour's house. We walked around the vege garden that her recently deceased dad had built (complete with cage to restrict wildlife). Very inspirational!!!

Wish I did not have to go to work today - busy times! Would love to spend time in the gardens here.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 4:16 am

I had a quick look last night (under light from house) at my vege garden. Poor thing looks neglected already. With short (light) days and having been away two weekends in a row my veges need attention. They seem to be growing well...but cucumbers and tomatoes are intertwined etc. Hopefully I can separate them this weekend...mixed relationships are always a challenge! laughing wit tears
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 8:01 am

I am surprised that your cukes are growing Daniel, ours dont seem to be able to take the cold weather..

Mixed everything in the garden is a challenge here, I like that. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 5:41 am

Hi Mary-Anne. Two of the cucumber vines are now visible from the house (over the height of the mock orange). I can see yellow flowers.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 11:48 am

Gee thats great Daniel thumb2
Its too cold in our garden for those things now not that today is cold, do you get frosts..
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 11:51 am

I have to say we do get frosts but my experience thus far is very few and very minor. Having said that others get worse close by. I do not want to get too cocky and then lose everything. Smile So, I might touch wood!
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:57 am

I just went back to the beginning of this thread...Apr 7th and the cage was bare. I will take some shots today and put them on this thread later...quite a bit of difference now. Smile And the best thing is...no possums have managed to get in yet. thumb2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next