Garden Delights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our social gardening forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully

Go down 
+10
lorraine
Betty
Jennywren
Brenda
Pitta
tessa
Little Miss The Estate
Mary-Anne
Gail
Garden Dan
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:57 am

I find seeds dont seem to last long here, it could be the humidity its hard to find dry in this climate
I keep mine in the house and they still lose their viability, every couple of years I toss them into the garden beds let them grow a bit and chop them down and dig in like green manure..
Back to top Go down
http://asunny-day.blogspot.com/
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:59 am

That is a great idea MA thumb2
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 am

Yes Recycling ... winky-winky
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 4:43 am

Now to prepare the beds...

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Newvegegardenbegins12Apr093

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Newvegegardenbegins12Apr091

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Newvegegardenbegins12Apr092
Back to top Go down
Richard
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Richard

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 4:57 am

Your soil looks very good, would a possum not get under that gate at the end Daniel
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 4:59 am

Thanks Gail...I have been working that soil for 4 years in readiness. It was going to be the site...then Kerrie decreed it too close to the house so we attempted two other sites but had to come back to this one. I had continued to work the soil for whatever I put in there. Still needs more organic matter but I will get there.
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 5:12 am

And yes...there are still a few spots but we have a plan (short term and long term). thumb2 let's hope both work. winky-winky
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 7:12 am

Great soil as previously mentioned, gunna make your neighbours very envious , just as well you can lock the gate Very Happy winky-winky winky-winky
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:01 am

What are you going to make your 'paths' of Daniel around the beds? Woodchip looks nice but is expensive. Might I suggest carpet from the tip. YOu can often get old carpet in rolls that are about the right width (?? 60 cm) as you do not want to cut it. The weeds will eventually grow through it but then you can lay some more on top or scatter woodchips to make it look pretty. I always look for carpet when I go to the tip as it is a great way of not having to weed the paths. The veggie beds of course I do weed and mulch with straw etc.

You might also like to locate a compost bin inside the shelter - easier than having to go out with a wheelbarrow. And a nice seat to relax. LOL
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:14 am

Daniel - the nicest veggie garden I have ever seen was in Tasmania in Rosevears which is in the Tamar banks - south of Launceston but I am not describing the location very well.

They had the rose Pinkie - a wonderful wonderful climber - on the veggie garden support and it looked simply divine. It is not an enormous climber and if positioned well with respect to sun and shade profiles, might not shade your veggies and might look simply divine from the house.
The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 P1020628

Last edited by pamela on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Little Miss The Estate
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Little Miss The Estate

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:30 am

That looks great Pamela thumb2 , I wish I had more space Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 9:49 am

wow, dan...what a lot of work has gone inside there!
looks fantastic. i've not ever seen soil like that over this way. jealous!

i'm so glad you've got a new enclosure AND a new camera...both at the same time! i look forward to seeing what you do in there!
popcorn
Back to top Go down
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 9:54 am

Just been to church and then Bunnings....oooops they are closed...I forgot...so went to a nursery...actually two on the way home...lots to plant now...BUT...must fix possum entry points...and friends coming soon for afternoon and dinner....Hmmm! Perhaps tomorrow....or will I take the risk???? See ya...time to garden...I am LOVING this. I love you I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:16 am

Looking good Daniel you plan sounds terrific, and your Doctor will I love you you for it. Or will he
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:21 am

[quote="Garden Dan"]

I had a sarcastic response re how big the possum problem was but too often sarcasm is offensive so I shall refrain...possums ate every blooming thing I planted...and if they missed it...some other sticking #@!@#$%%$#@! critter got it!

quote]

How rude you are, Dan. That was not sarcasm, I merely asked a question because possums here do NOT eat my vegies. Yours must be very short of food up there, or there are too many for the area perhaps.
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:46 am

betty...he's not being rude. he didn't say YOU were sarcastic, he was referring to his own sarcasm.
Back to top Go down
Betty
Gardener
Gardener
Betty

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:20 am

I don't read it that way at all, Tessa.
Back to top Go down
tessa
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa
tessa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:25 am

I had a sarcastic response re how big the possum problem was

i read he is saying he was going to make a post in a sarcastic tone about how big the possum problem was....

but then he realized:

but too often sarcasm is offensive so I shall refrain

and so he didn't.

i see, quite clearly, he is talking about himself and his choices around the tone of his own posts.
that's how i read that.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:38 am

I have to agree with Tessa here Betty...

Daniel's would not be sarcastic to any human being Betty I know him personally actually he visited us yesterday and I know the problem he has had with possums so I can understand his reply towards the possums certainly not towards to you.. Please do not think that way..
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 1:01 pm

I have to agree with Tessa and Mary-Anne... Daniel is the one person on this forum who would NOT be offensive to anyone in the least.

Daniel, you are doing a great job. I know you don't want to have too much shade but in the middle of summer some light shade is good for the plants. A passionfruit vine on one end could be used for some light shade as well as providing fruit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 4:53 am

Thank you.

I think a passionfruit would be good. I understand that the fruit usually grows on the northern side so plant on southern side/wall of the patch. I have left a spot to plant it and will train it up the fence...but will need to keep in control. I LOVE passionfruit!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gail
Gardener
Gardener
Gail

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 4:57 am

And passionfruit don't just taste good, the flowers are pretty too flower then there is kiwi fruit... winky-winky
Back to top Go down
http://www.savethemaryriver.com/
Garden Dan
Assistant Gardener
Assistant Gardener
Garden Dan

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 4:59 am

I totally agree Gail. I have not considered kiwi fruit...I will have to look them up to see how they grow.
Back to top Go down
Mary-Anne
Unionized Gardener
Unionized Gardener
Mary-Anne

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 7:56 am

Daniel have as read of this it may help http://www.greengold.com.au/greengold/CARENOTES/CARENOTES/kiwifrui.htm
Back to top Go down
please remove me
Garden Sherpa
Garden Sherpa

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 8:18 am

Daniel

I love Kiwi fruit. But ....

The Kiwi fruit plant is a MONSTER in size. If I have lost my "sunny" caged veggie garden due to the 6 climbing roses I planted on it, one (or two as you need male and female) kiwi fruit will take over the entire cage - I have seen it here many times in the valley.

I'd love to plant it here but it really needs a trellis like a grape vine and to be restricted to that one long run of trellis and then it can be easily pruned and maintained - with a bob cat :-))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully   The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New Vege cage to stop possums...hopefully
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next